cleaning aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
Hello,
I was planning on buying an aluminum pot and I know you have to be a bit more careful with it than stainless steel. What are some good ways of cleaning them without messing up the oxidized layer?
thanks,
Thijs

I use a scrubber designed for non-stick pans. But, have no hesitations on using something rougher if needed. You can easily restore the oxide layer by boiling some water in the pot.

fakeghostpirate said:
PBW works well.
Do not soak for more than a few hours with any percarbonate cleaner (ie. oxyclean, pbw, ubw, generic "oxygen" cleaners. Not just aluminum either, any metals.

5 Is Not Enough said:
Do not soak for more than a few hours with any percarbonate cleaner (ie. oxyclean, pbw, ubw, generic "oxygen" cleaners. Not just aluminum either, any metals.

You can re pickle metal. Stop being limp wrists.

I soak my kettle in hot water and use a washcloth to scrub. Nothing ever needs more than that since I use mine for brewing only.

I've never scrubbed or cleaned my boil pot. I heat water to a boil in it for pre-heating my MLT and rinse it out real well after I boil and that's the extent of my cleaning.

Unless you are using a real metal scouring pad, I don't think you have the power to scrub that oxide layer off. It's pretty dadgum tough. If I'm wrong about that, though, I'm sure someone will come in and correct me.

On that, though, I've never had any problems with a simple hot water soak and scrub with the rough side of our handy-dandy sink sponge or cloth. Really, a detergent doesn't do anything for you, as you aren't dealing with enough oils to make much difference.

TL

Back