Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaned Equipment but forgot to Sanitize

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
CWalters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleaned Equipment but forgot to Sanitize

Okay, So I have two batches in question. I just racked one into a Corny and another into a Secondary. After doing so, I realized that I used 1-Step instead of Starsan to "Sanitize" the equipment. Should the batches be fine or am I SOL?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Although one step is not technically a sanitizer, it's been used with good results. Your beer will be fine, RDWHAHB.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
CWalters
Recipes 

MckBrew, thanks for the piece of mind, at least I know someone else cares about my beer.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Assume they are OK for now.

Sanitizing reduces teh risk of infection greatly. not sanitizing won't guarantee problems.

good luck!

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
kmlavoy
Recipes 

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it either. I sort of had the same problem over the weekend. I was bottling and I grabbed at least two bottles out of a group that hadn't been cleaned. They didn't have any visible funk, and I did sanitize, but I haven't had anything explode yet.

From what I've heard One-Step is rated as a sanitizer, but they can't call it that, since they just haven't bothered to get government ceritfication for it. Kind of like how certain farmers don't use pesticides, but can't say they're organic, since they refuse to pay the USDA the ceritfication fees. It's all about money.

lavoyboysbrewing.blogspot.com

Quick Reply