The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Clean and Sanitize Racking Cane and Tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
ncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Clean and Sanitize Racking Cane and Tube

I've read through several threads on this subject - the majority seem to run sanitizer through the cane and tube either by pumping or siphoning. But it sure seems like the connection between the cane and tube makes a crevise that would trap nasties. I tried to remove the tube to get a better cleaning, but it's a 5/16" tube over a 5/16" cane (interference fit) and they don't want to separate. Any thoughts on needing to separate these parts for cleaning?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I just did this today... soaked the whole assembly in a hot oxyclean solution, (mine has the cap on the bottom to elevate the intake area above the trub, I took that off) and it looked brand new when I was done. The hose was even less stained. Then I did the Starsan thing.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yeah, it can be hard to remove tubing sometimes. Easiest way is to heat it up a bit - put in hot water for a few minutes, and the tube will pull off easily. Otherwise, grab the tube with a pair of pliers and yank and twist it off. If you have a plastic cane - be careful you don't break it.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 798 Posts

Umm...okay, and when you break the cane using the "yank and twist" method, don't throw the remains away. When you eventually get into using pure oxygen you can make a wicked cheap but very effective oxygenation rod with it.

Otherwise...just run the hose under hot faucet water for 30 seconds or so and you should be able to carefully wiggle it off...

Cheers!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
warex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Of course your wife's hair drier works even better. A quick blast of heat and it just comes off.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
ncbrewer
Recipes 

From these posts, it looks like the tube really should be removed for cleaning, as I suspected. Interesting, though, that several other threads had more discussion about cleaning without removing the tube. I'll try the hot water or hair drier method. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I definitely don't take the tube off the end of the cane for cleaning.

Before racking, I have a 5G bucket filled with maybe 1G of starsan, siphon starsan up and into the same bucket...I try to get everything soaked in starsan by either dipping it in the bucket or spraying with a spray bottle. Then I go to racking.

When storing, I rinse it out with water and hang the hose/cane portion up to drip dry.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Something someone mentioned once for removing stuck tubing, which I've found helpful, is to heat it under hot water, as was already mentioned here. Then to give it a bit of a push further on, that'll unstick it and let you pull it off. Works every time, and no broken canes

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
ncbrewer
Recipes 

I experimented and found a set-up that I like. The racking cane is 5/16" ID, 3/8" OD. I was using 5/16" ID tubing, and it was an extremely tight fit. On an old racking cane (same size), I tried a 3/8" ID tube, which leaked a little. Put a cable tie around the connection and pulled it snug - no leak. Cut off the cable tie and the tube pulls off easily.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
ncweasel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I always rinse mine well right after use and then wash with hot soapy water and rinse. I remove the tubing each time from the racking cane. Let it all air dry until next brew session. then sanitize with star san right before using.

Quick Reply