Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Clean-in-place drain and whirlpooling
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeffmeh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,832
Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Clean-in-place drain and whirlpooling

I want to do clean-in-place, but I also want to whirlpool.

I believe the best performing drain for clean-in-place would be centered and flush with the bottom, but that will be directly below the trub cone left after the whirlpool.

So I am thinking I will need both the center, bottom drain and the typical low side drain, the first for C-I-P and the second for draiining my wort from the side, far from the trub cone.

Also, I do no-chill so I whirlpool and drain the wort while hot.

Any better ideas from the wise? Many thanks.

__________________
jeffmeh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
heferly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westbrook, CT
Posts: 758
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

i wonder if the center drain could act like a conical of sorts...pull off the trub first, discard, then start draining your kettle?

__________________
Basement Cafe Brewery
heferly is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeffmeh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,832
Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heferly View Post
i wonder if the center drain could act like a conical of sorts...pull off the trub first, discard, then start draining your kettle?
Interesting idea, although it would have to be a fairly large diameter drain and tubing to deal with all of the concentrated hot break and hop debris without clogging. Clogging a drain of 190deg F wort is no fun, as I have found.
__________________
jeffmeh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
heferly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westbrook, CT
Posts: 758
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Maybe a couple of quick disconnects could solve that problem

Either way, the CIP sounds like a great idea

__________________
Basement Cafe Brewery
heferly is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
Duckfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dürty Soüth, GA
Posts: 1,375
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Invert a Sanke, remove the spear, get a 2" tri-clover with a 2" blank, make a gasket out of silicon sheet and put on your side mount drain w/ a short dip tube...

Just a thought...

__________________

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!
Duckfoot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

I just welded a 2" tri clamp ferrule in the bottom of my MT (plan to do the same to my BK) just for cleaning in place. I plan to scoop most of the grain out of the MT, fold the false bottom and rinse the rest out the bottom through a 2" butterfly valve. I plan to use the existing 1/2" siphon tubes I have in the MT & BK during the brewing process.

As mentioned, you could cut the bottom of a keg and invert it to get a "factory" opening on the bottom. The only minor downside that I see is the handles would then be on the bottom.

Ed

__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeffmeh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,832
Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

As to the original question, it sounds like both a bottom drain for CIP and a side drain for draining the wort will be necessary to be able to CIP and whirlpool.

Thanks for suggesting the 2" bottom drain. So the 2" line from the bottom is a waste line and the 1/2" side drain can mate with the pump, both lines valved. I suspect I could drain the hot wort from the side port, open the bottom port and dump and rinse out the kettle trub, close the bottom port, fill with cleaning solution, heat it, hook the outlet of the side port to the pump to start the CIP cycle, then open the bottom port to drain.

__________________
jeffmeh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
As to the original question, it sounds like both a bottom drain for CIP and a side drain for draining the wort will be necessary to be able to CIP and whirlpool.

Thanks for suggesting the 2" bottom drain. So the 2" line from the bottom is a waste line and the 1/2" side drain can mate with the pump, both lines valved. I suspect I could drain the hot wort from the side port, open the bottom port and dump and rinse out the kettle trub, close the bottom port, fill with cleaning solution, heat it, hook the outlet of the side port to the pump to start the CIP cycle, then open the bottom port to drain.
That is exactly my plan.
Currently, I circulate then drain through the 1/2" siphon tube. Then I use a wet/dry vac to suck up the last of the trub or cleaner in the BK or last bits of grain in the MLT.
__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeffmeh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,832
Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
That is exactly my plan.
Currently, I circulate then drain through the 1/2" siphon tube. Then I use a wet/dry vac to suck up the last of the trub or cleaner in the BK or last bits of grain in the MLT.
Sounds good. So you expect to eliminate the need to take out the wet/dry vac when you can drain through a flush, 2", centered, bottom valve, correct?

I have almost honed in on my plan for a single-vessel electric, probably with the Bayou Classic 102 quart kettle. Now, when I get the funds to execute it is another matter, lol.
__________________
jeffmeh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
Sounds good. So you expect to eliminate the need to take out the wet/dry vac when you can drain through a flush, 2", centered, bottom valve, correct?

I have almost honed in on my plan for a single-vessel electric, probably with the Bayou Classic 102 quart kettle. Now, when I get the funds to execute it is another matter, lol.
That is exactly right. BTW... I think you already know, but for others that may run across this... the bottom drain is for electric only (or maybe steam). You would not want to directly heat the valve or even the triclamp gasket.

I understand about taking your time to execute... most rigs are constantly going through some kind of upgrade or retrofit.

Good luck,

Ed
__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whirlpooling bellsbrat Equipment/Sanitation 27 01-14-2011 10:40 AM
Whirlpooling the HLT and BK in a HERMS drkwoods Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-08-2011 04:21 PM
Clean In Place Brewery Setup Steven9026 Equipment/Sanitation 1 12-24-2010 12:12 AM
Whirlpooling separate from the BK???? jim4065 Equipment/Sanitation 3 05-06-2010 02:04 PM
portable clean-in-place station Cold_Steel Equipment/Sanitation 4 05-11-2009 03:14 PM