Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CIP Ball Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default CIP Ball Question

I bought a CIP ball from brewershardware. The thing is larger than I envisioned, something like 2" diameter with a 1" threaded connection. Can I possibly hope to pump enough water through this thing to blast my conical clean? Or do I need something more like a 1" diameter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

How big is your pump?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Lennie
Recipes 

The pump I am trying to use is a 12V harbor freight marine utility pump, supposed to pump 260gph at 50psi. I'm using hoses for a washing machine, probably 1/2" ID and only 6' long.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4627 Times on 4530 Posts
Likes Given: 2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I bought a CIP ball from brewershardware. The thing is larger than I envisioned, something like 2" diameter with a 1" threaded connection. Can I possibly hope to pump enough water through this thing to blast my conical clean? Or do I need something more like a 1" diameter?
You can convert your pump's maximum head rating to an effective PSI rating and see if you have enough horsepower to drive it. I have a LG 5.5-MD-HC and I decided it didn't have enough power to really drive that bad boy.

From the product description on brewershardware:

"Rotating CIP Spray Ball 1" FPT Connection. Operates on 15-100PSI, 40-60PSI is recommended. Ball diameter is 2"."

One foot of head is equivalent to a pressure of 0.433 psi

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
The pump I am trying to use is a 12V harbor freight marine utility pump, supposed to pump 260gph at 50psi. I'm using hoses for a washing machine, probably 1/2" ID and only 6' long.
Give it a whirl! I will be interested to see if it will work for you. Been trying to find a CIP sprayball that's a little bit smaller scale that this one, but it would work for some of my uses if you're able to drive it with a pump like that!

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Lennie
Recipes 

This is the pump:
12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

Its maximum lift (=head?) is 35ft, does that mean it will only produce 15psi? I am not understanding this very well. I'm looking at other larger sump pumps that pump more gph but their maximum lift is even less than this little pump.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
This is the pump:
12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

Its maximum lift (=head?) is 35ft, does that mean it will only produce 15psi? I am not understanding this very well. I'm looking at other larger sump pumps that pump more gph but their maximum lift is even less than this little pump.
Their output assumption is probably 1.5" or 1.25" ID PVC pipe...

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Lennie
Recipes 

The connections are either 3/8" NPT female or male garden hose, so maybe they're using a garden hose ID as an assumed output.

I'll give it another whirl tonight, hopefully it will actually whirl. I ran the pump whith a battery charger and it didn't push quite hard enough to spin the ball but I'm hoping an actual battery will give better results. Will post back on the outcome. I am thinking your LG pump has to be a lot stronger than this little thing.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
I'll give it another whirl tonight, hopefully it will actually whirl. I ran the pump whith a battery charger and it didn't push quite hard enough to spin the ball but I'm hoping an actual battery will give better results. Will post back on the outcome. I am thinking your LG pump has to be a lot stronger than this little thing.
TBH, I am now rethinking and recalculating. Also, I believe my understanding of feet of head also needs some refinement... off to the interwebz.

edit: Nope, only rated up to 17.5 psi (40.5 ft of head).

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Lennie
Recipes 

I posed the question to my engineer buddy (also a brewer) and he seems to think this pump will work. He said the 260gph at 50psi means theres 50psi coming out of the pump head, and that this will be lessened somewhat by the 3' or so of head to get to the top of the conical, and that should still be enough to run the spray ball (40psi).

I guess I'll see tonight, now I want to get off work early! But that is nothing new.

Quick Reply