Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chugger vs Little Giant my thoughts after having both

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
BrewNinja1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cross Plains, WI
Posts: 328
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Chugger vs Little Giant my thoughts after having both

This is for people who are wondering which one is better, the Little Giant 3-MD-HC or the chugger. I will first start off saying both work great and push close to the same amount of liquid. I started off with just the little giant (**LG from now on**), and read a lot about people having problems priming etc. I have never had an issue priming my LG. Even when doing things I really shouldnt, it primes almost every time on its own. Bunch of air in the hose, no problem (may take a few quick on/offs to get it to flow, but thats it). I have really enjoyed using it.

Fast forward and I recently added a chugger pump so I dont have to do so many hose changes. I have read a lot of positive reviews, so being $75 cheaper, and coming with a stainless head, I bought one. After using it a few times I have to say now I see where people are having problems. It seems I constantly have to futz with it to get it working right. It will not push through air in the line like the LG will. Also, I have a on/off valve on the output. When I close that, then open it back up, the pump will not continue to pump. It must have some air or something caught in the pump head, and it wont start pumping again until I turn it off then back on. Im not sure if its because of the difference between center inlet/side inlet or what, but the LG primes and holds it much better.

The biggest thing that makes the LG stand out against the chugger/march pump design in the ease of cleaning. 4 wing nuts and the pump head is off and you can clean it. For the chugger design, you have to take 4 screws off to get the head off, then 4 more screws off to get the head apart.

If you are on a budget, the chugger will definately get the job done. The fact that it has a stainless head is also really nice. However the Little Giant seems to be much more user friendly and overall a better pump (though it is to be expected at a much higher price tag).

In case someone else was on the fence, hopefully this helps

__________________
BrewNinja1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewNinja1 View Post
This is for people who are wondering which one is better, the Little Giant 3-MD-HC or the chugger. I will first start off saying both work great and push close to the same amount of liquid. I started off with just the little giant (**LG from now on**), and read a lot about people having problems priming etc. I have never had an issue priming my LG. Even when doing things I really shouldnt, it primes almost every time on its own. Bunch of air in the hose, no problem (may take a few quick on/offs to get it to flow, but thats it). I have really enjoyed using it.

Fast forward and I recently added a chugger pump so I dont have to do so many hose changes. I have read a lot of positive reviews, so being $75 cheaper, and coming with a stainless head, I bought one. After using it a few times I have to say now I see where people are having problems. It seems I constantly have to futz with it to get it working right. It will not push through air in the line like the LG will. Also, I have a on/off valve on the output. When I close that, then open it back up, the pump will not continue to pump. It must have some air or something caught in the pump head, and it wont start pumping again until I turn it off then back on. Im not sure if its because of the difference between center inlet/side inlet or what, but the LG primes and holds it much better.

The biggest thing that makes the LG stand out against the chugger/march pump design in the ease of cleaning. 4 wing nuts and the pump head is off and you can clean it. For the chugger design, you have to take 4 screws off to get the head off, then 4 more screws off to get the head apart.

If you are on a budget, the chugger will definately get the job done. The fact that it has a stainless head is also really nice. However the Little Giant seems to be much more user friendly and overall a better pump (though it is to be expected at a much higher price tag).

In case someone else was on the fence, hopefully this helps
+1 I bought an LG more than six years ago. It has performed flawlessly, required near zero maintenance and no problems at all with priming. I agree that removing the LG pump head is a breeze relative to the other popular pumps. Yes, the LG is priced a bit higher, but well worth it IMO.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

You don't need to take the head off to clean a pump.

_

__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 21,906
Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I think I opened up my pump head one time in 4 years and it was spotless.

__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Bobby_M is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
You don't need to take the head off to clean a pump.

_
Unless it gets plugged up with debris that won't simply flush out. Been there. The point is that removing the LG pump head is much less of a hassle than with the competing pumps.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Unless it gets plugged up with debris that won't simply flush out. Been there. The point is that removing the LG pump head is much less of a hassle than with the competing pumps.
That's not the pumps fault, and we get you have a love affair with lg, you post in every single thread about them.

_
__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
That's not the pumps fault, and we get you have a love affair with lg, you post in every single thread about them.

_
I never claimed that it was the pumps fault. That's all in your head. So what if I like my LG pump? Why do you give a rats ass what I think? I don't give a damn what you think, so I figure that puts us about even.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
mpcluever Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chugger pumps, where did they go Raider-11 Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-06-2012 10:14 PM
March or Chugger mavrick1903 Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-11-2011 03:43 AM
Chugger pump issue JMichael Equipment/Sanitation 30 08-15-2011 01:34 PM
Stuck Chugger Pump Scut_Monkey Equipment/Sanitation 12 06-24-2011 04:55 PM
Chugger Pump Review sjlammer Equipment/Sanitation 14 01-10-2011 12:32 PM