Chugger pumps, are they worth the price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
I have two Chugger pumps, both are mounted and connected to my system identically. However, one works fine and the other screech and make loud sharp sound each time I choke the out going flow to it (typically during sparging), the wort flow stops while the pump still keeps running with louder noise that usual. I tried many different ideas some work and some not. Generally speaking even if the second pump works, it still weaker pump than the other sister of it. I'm starting to think that the Chuggers are not worth the money, any suggestions?

I have two Chugger pumps, both are mounted and connected to my system identically. However, one works fine and the other screech and make loud sharp sound each time I choke the incoming flow to it (typically during sparging), the wort flow stops while the pump still keeps running with louder noise that usual. I tried many different ideas some work and some not. Generally speaking even if the second pump works, it still weaker pump than the other sister of it. I'm starting to think that the Chuggers are not worth the money, any suggestions?

I think your suppose to choke the out going; the pump needs to be flooded at all times. In the directions it specifically said "when the pump is run dry, don't let this pump make a high pitched screeching noise"

Mikescooling, you are right, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say the out going. the post now is corrected.

Thanks

I have two and they both work great - no unusual noises unless I screw up and let the input flow rate drop. Defects happen with any product - why not call them and ask for an exchange?

It might be good to post a picture of your plumbing though - it might have a legitimate cause.

Both of mine work great, the only time mine ever made that noise is when they weren't flooding fully because of cavitation. I was having this problem consistently until I flipped them vertically with the out side facing up. This solved the problem and they flow great and run near silent.

I keep re-reading your post, but "choke the out going flow to it" sounds like you are referring to the input of the pump, in which case that would cause cavitation, noise and other problems. But if it occurs when restricting output from the pump, that shouldn't really happen- the pitch of the pump should change a little as it works against the restriction, but that's all.

I own both a March and a Chugger pump. Initially I wanted to dislike the Chugger based on it's country of production, but after a year's worth of use, I have to confess that it has given me a little less trouble than the March. The March likes to decouple a little more often (for me) and is a little louder than my Chugger. But don't let the Chugger specs fool you, if flow rate is what you are looking for, the March will outperform the Chugger.

$.02

:mug:

I have a chugger pump and two march pumps. The chugger fails pretty much every brew and I have to reset it several times to get it going again. Exactly as described above - it starts making a screeching sound that gets louder until it no longer produces a flow. I have it plumbed to my hlt where it recirculates plain water and pumps it over to the mlt. Most of the time - the output is unrestricted (I mostly batch sparge). The input is never restricted.

They replaced it for me once and I continue to have the same problem. Other than the stainless head, I wouldn't buy another one.

Ya. I have a march pump (need another one) and I'm perfectly happy with it. In-flow at the bottom, out-flow at the top and haven't had any trouble with it at all.

Thank you all for giving your input on the matter. I clearly see a case of inconsistent product. I have two pumps put and mounted exactly the same (see pictures). One work fine with good flow, the other screech get louder and stop producing a flow. I called the guy who makes them, sent him the pictures that you see here, he blamed the 90 degree elbows!! Any one see that a problem?

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

I don't know for sure if that is the problem but I do know right on Bobby_M's site brewhardware.com it says with the pumps they don't recommend 90s on the imput side to be attached to the pumps. http://brewhardware.com/fittings/102-camlock-disconnects
Here is the link the the exact wording he uses:
Cam Kit BL - This is a Type B camlock and a High Flow Elbow Barb. You still have to thread them together yourself but it can be added to the cart with one click and you'll save a buck too. This is perfect for the hose ends that connect to your vessel bulkheads. When the three or four feet of silicone gets filled with liquid, it would tend to pull down and kink the tubing if you used a horizontal barb. The only place we don't recommned this is on the suction or inlet side of a pump. Use the Big C for that.

The elbow creates a restriction to flow. My question is this: At the time that the noise occurs, does restricting the output flow then cease the noise? If so, then I would say that there is definitely supply problem on the input side.

Edit: It's not so much the bend that causes reduced flow (it does though) but the fact that that elbow has a much smaller diameter than 1/2". This smaller ID causes more restriction than anything

I have read somewhere (can't find the source at the moment) that Chugger doesn't have a preference as to how you orient the head (top, down, left, right etc.) despite many people recommending down as the input and up as the output. I myself have it oriented left to right and mounted on a board (my setup isn't as elegant as yours) and don't get any screeching unless liquid pulls all the way through. Just close the valve before that happens.

You could try removing your elbow and re-orienting the head so you can go straight in with that inlet tube.

Back