New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chugger Pump seizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
a_potter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chugger Pump seizing

During my last brew while I was sparging my Chugger Pump started seizing constantly. It would start making a horrible noise like it had lost prime. I would turn off, prime, and when I would turn back on the motor would not start. I checked every connection multiple times. After a few minutes it would start again. It works great for pumping cold liquid but seizes when pumping sparge temps. Chugger says to send it back for evaluation. Anybody else had this kind of trouble with theirs or am I the lucky one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is that when pumping hot water or wort?

_

Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have this issue with boiling water. They sent me a new head and still same issue. Usually if I shut it off when it acts up, it does not seize, but it did seize up once last time. I believe it is from boiling water. Boiling water releases air bubbles, which will cause the pumps to cavitate. Not sure if there is a solution.

My hop stopper

Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
a_potter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I have had this issue with hot wort over 170 up to boiling. It pump cooled wort with no problem at all. The motor is seizing though not just the impeller. After letting it set for 5 mins or so I am able to turn it back on and pump for a couple mintutes and it does it again. At first I thought I had a switch problem so I quickly wires a pigtail onto it and bypassed my switch. No changed. I pretty bummed with it. I've only done 5 batches with it and already having motor trouble.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
milldoggy
Recipes 

Interesting, mine seized on my 5th batch also. Same issue, worked after I shut it down for 5 minutes. I only have the issue with water around 205. What type of hoses/connections do you have on the input?

My hop stopper

Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
a_potter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have 1/2 inch stainless cam locks which have silicone o rings and silicone half inch tubing. My system is a HERMS. The problem is definitely thermal in nature as it works fine with cooled wort. Does yours have the green motor also?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It seems odd that the motor would seize at the elevated temps since the motor is not actually in contact with the hot liquid.

My 3 pumps all have Chugger SS heads on them but the pumps are March brand. I've never had a seize and I can even pump full flow in the boil kettle for whirlpool.

For those that have the seizing problem - where are your pumps in relation to the burners? Are you getting any outside heat influence on the pumps?

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
a_potter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine is two tier rig with the pump mounted on the bottom in the open middle part. I also whirl pooled for the first 4 brews with no problem. I actually bought this pump just so I could pump boiling liquid and designed my rig to use this feature. I heat and cool through the HEX and whirlpool. I was thinking maybe the heat of the hot wort was being transferred to the motor through the stainless pump head bolted on. I had to completely abandoned my whirlpool on the last brew cause it seized so much. After I got it chilled down to around 150 or so I was able to pump back through the HEX to help finish cooling.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
milldoggy
Recipes 

I am electric, so no flames near the pump. I have the green motor. I have my pumps below the kettles. I also use a camlock and 1/2 hose. I wonder if I put a fan on the pumps to cool them. I tried all sorts of dip tube combos, 1/2 copper, no dip tube, braid attached to 1/2. I get caviation, but only seized once. I did a test boil once I redid my plumping and it did not seize.

Can you post a pic of your system?

My hop stopper

Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
a_potter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quick Reply