Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chugger pump issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
JMichael
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chugger pump issue

So, I have two chugger pumps and both worked very well up until a couple of weeks ago when one started locking up. By locking up, I mean the impellor will just freeze after about 20 minutes. The motor still runs but the pump quits.

Mike at chugger says it's because I need full port 1/2 ID quick disconnects because the 3/8 qd's cause cavitations which makes the pump impellor spin out against the pump head and lock up.

Anyone else have this issue? My other pump (chugger ) doesn't do this and the QD's are the same throughout the entire system.

Anyone know where to get full ported 1/2 QD's?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The camlocks are 1/2" all the way through as long as you avoid the one with the integrated barb.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I use 1/2" camlocks and no issues as of yet.

-=Jason=-

Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I don't buy the qd issue on this particular problem as you have been using it without issue up until now. Read this thread on March pumps, see post #20 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/warn...4/#post2601515 You might be able to do something like that with the Chugger. Give it a good cleaning first and test. You don't have much to lose before spending $$ on QD's.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Hogcrewer
Recipes 

Hhhmm, I purchased a head unit from him for my 809 and running the McMasters-Carr QD's and havent had a issue with this yet. It will occasionally make a squealing noise when it first starts up. But I contribute that to air in the head.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
JMichael
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks guys!

Sam, in that thread it says that the sugars can cause this. This particular pump is used between my HLT and MLT and only moves water.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
JMichael
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogcrewer
Hhhmm, I purchased a head unit from him for my 809 and running the McMasters-Carr QD's and havent had a issue with this yet. It will occasionally make a squealing noise when it first starts up. But I contribute that to air in the head.
I thought it might be air getting caught in the dip tube so I took it off but still had the same problem. It seems to only happen when the temps go over 160.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
WPStrassburg
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These little pumps can't truly cavitate. They can't pull enough suction to create a vacuum low enough to cause cavitation. The pump may have air in the head or the heat may be causing some distortion in the head causing it to bind and lock the impeller up. Does the flow sputter or make any bubbles before it stops or does it just lock up? The casting looks less than stellar on most of these from what I've seen, so I'd suspect it's an alignment issue. Can you move the rear can relative to the front volute cover if you take the head off?

Try taking the qd's off an just recirc hot water with the hoses and see if it locks up. If so then it's an alignment issue.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
WPStrassburg
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check the alignment of the 4/6(volute) (ss chugger remake of the polysulfone/bronze march heads), 11, 12/13, and 14(rear can)
Page 2 for part # references.
http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/...ump_Manual.pdf

By the sounds of it it's just heating up and binding the impeller on the shaft, or the thrust washer(11) isn't in the right spot at the front of the impeller(14).

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPStrassburg View Post
These little pumps can't truly cavitate. They can't pull enough suction to create a vacuum low enough to cause cavitation. The pump may have air in the head or the heat may be causing some distortion in the head causing it to bind and lock the impeller up. Does the flow sputter or make any bubbles before it stops or does it just lock up? The casting looks less than stellar on most of these from what I've seen, so I'd suspect it's an alignment issue. Can you move the rear can relative to the front volute cover if you take the head off?

Try taking the qd's off an just recirc hot water with the hoses and see if it locks up. If so then it's an alignment issue.
What makes you say you can't get cavitation in these pumps? If you have enough restriction in the suction line and the vapour pressure is lowered due to it being hot water I could see it possible to cavitate the pump. Just saying.

Quick Reply