Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chugger problems
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #121
aceuass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I have this Chugger pump for over a year now and never had problems until today
I had the seized chugger pump this morning, would not turn, first off thought maybe it was frozen, run 180f water into it, still nothing, i could hear the motor hum, i contacted Chugger and Mike replied instantly, offered to replace
While I was in the middle of my Fullers 1914 AK brew day, i dismantled the pump, removed the head, cleaned it up, didnt see anything that looked suspicious, put it back together and sure as can be it started working
I contacted Mike at Chugger back and thanked him for his quick response
Thanks

3 Hoppy Guys Brewing Co

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #122
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1400 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 32

So the results from today's brew are:

HLT PUMP

170 strike water - brief squeal that corrected itself

185 sparge water - Made it through about 4.5 gallons of water fine, then constant sqeal. Every 30 seconds or so I had to stop/start the pump. I did see a bubble rise back up the tube to the HLT each time, so I bled the lines of air each time and got the same result. My system is leak free, so not sure if this is decoupling, cavitation, or ??? Very frustrating though.

WORT SIDE PUMP

Worked great with 150* wort. Pumped out MLT with no problems. Although the squeal the instant it reaches the bottom is disconcerting.

On the positve, I was able to recirculate through the CFC for the last 15 minutes at a full rolling boil without issue. The pump did have a rattle sound while at full boil, but never squealed or decoupled.

While pumping to the fermenter, the pump was very quiet and pumped great. Quieter than my March actually.

I would have no problem keeping these pumps on my system if I can figure out the issue with the pump on the HLT side.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #123
DrewBrewTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When did you get this pump again? Also, would you agree that the pump seems to like (can) pump wort at higher temps than plain water?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #124
KCBrewer

Recipes 

Just received them on Wednesday. And yes, it pumps wort fine. Hot water was terrible.

One pump wouldn't pump 185° water for more than 30 seconds at a time, the other pumped wort at a rolling boil fine for 15 minutes.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #125
DrewBrewTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine is similar. Water at 192F failed, did not fail at 180 or so the other brew day. So failure on water in-between those.

Mine cannot boil wort a rolling boil however. Fine as soon as flame goes out though.

Maybe that helps...

I have the original Chugger stainless head (the one with the offset inlet and outlet holes and burred threads), but have never even taken it out of the box. Meant is as a emergency replacement if the march got damaged.

Maybe I will try that head on the chugger and see how it pumps. If the impeller fits.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #126
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Anyone who has a problem with a Chugger please call me or email me at mike@pumps-parts.com we will replace the pump

800-810-1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBrewer View Post
So the results from today's brew are:

HLT PUMP

170 strike water - brief squeal that corrected itself

185 sparge water - Made it through about 4.5 gallons of water fine, then constant sqeal. Every 30 seconds or so I had to stop/start the pump. I did see a bubble rise back up the tube to the HLT each time, so I bled the lines of air each time and got the same result. My system is leak free, so not sure if this is decoupling, cavitation, or ??? Very frustrating though.

WORT SIDE PUMP

Worked great with 150* wort. Pumped out MLT with no problems. Although the squeal the instant it reaches the bottom is disconcerting.

On the positve, I was able to recirculate through the CFC for the last 15 minutes at a full rolling boil without issue. The pump did have a rattle sound while at full boil, but never squealed or decoupled.

While pumping to the fermenter, the pump was very quiet and pumped great. Quieter than my March actually.

I would have no problem keeping these pumps on my system if I can figure out the issue with the pump on the HLT side.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #127
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great offer and proof they'll stand behind their product. Appreciate it Mike!

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Single Tier Wooden Brutus build

Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #128
DrewBrewTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsBrew View Post
Great offer and proof they'll stand behind their product. Appreciate it Mike!
Didn't someone say in an earlier post, and after speaking with Mike, the company would fix the problem or make it right for the customer?

Homebrewing will be better and less expensive, if homebrewers stand behind the risk takers that are nuts enough to try and make and sell products to such a persnickety customer base.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #129
Bruin
Recipes 

Got an email from Mike at Chugger today. Apparently this problem is caused by a bad lot of magnets. I'm sure they are making sure the magnets are better for the next batch. Seems like he has no problem fixing older pumps with this problem. That being the case, I still plan on giving these guys business and will go with Chugger for my first pump. I'll advise on results when I get a pump from them.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #130
KCBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggerpumps View Post
Anyone who has a problem with a Chugger please call me or email me at mike@pumps-parts.com we will replace the pump

800-810-1053
That's great. Email has been sent, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
Got an email from Mike at Chugger today. Apparently this problem is caused by a bad lot of magnets. I'm sure they are making sure the magnets are better for the next batch. Seems like he has no problem fixing older pumps with this problem. That being the case, I still plan on giving these guys business and will go with Chugger for my first pump. I'll advise on results when I get a pump from them.
Interesting. I had to roate the head on my pumps and noticed that the magnets on them were much stronger than the march pump. I even took the head off the march pump again and felt the strength of them side by side and the chugger was far stronger, yet I had issues with them.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply