The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Choosing A Conical Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #81
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamssvg View Post
What is your pressure relief valve set to? I was just wondering how you are able to know how much CO2 is being produced during fermentation to make sure you end up with the right amount of CO2 in your beer at the end.
The one I use is not adjustable it is automatic pressure relief @ 15 PSI and vaccumm relief @ 1.5 PSI. I use it to pressure carbonate and it works well. I have a valve on the blow off and after primary fermentation settles down I close it replace hose with pressure gage and let it go. I can watch the gauge steady go up after a a few days and know all is good. Saves time and money and transfer carbonated beer right to kegs. I remove the gage from and attach CO2 to push beer directly into kegs. My wort/beer never touches oxegen after it leaves the oxygen injection from the boil kettle. Thats the main reason I purchased the Glacier tanks for the versitillity. I use them as fermenters and bright tanks. I usually only have one batch going at a time and have a 6" carbonation stone I can use to carbonate to desired volume if I do not get to where I like with the pressurized fermentation.

Here is a picture of the valve I use.
pressure-reief.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #82
OakPond
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My main question to you guys. I have nothing against making this amazing setup, it looks amazing and I would love to have it, but what the heck are you guys planning on doing with 30 gallons of beer? I understand it's cool and all, and I'm new to the game, but unless you're selling it legitimately on a microbrew level type company, that's just such a huge volume. I don't know what I would do with it it or how to get rid of it. I just made my first couple 5 gallon batches and my first instinct is "man, this is a blast and it tastes amazing, time to make another one!" but I have no idea what to do or how to get rid of all this beer lol.

I just don't see the sense in having the ability to make 25+ gallons in one batch useful unless you're selling it.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #83
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakPond
My main question to you guys. I have nothing against making this amazing setup, it looks amazing and I would love to have it, but what the heck are you guys planning on doing with 30 gallons of beer? I understand it's cool and all, and I'm new to the game, but unless you're selling it legitimately on a microbrew level type company, that's just such a huge volume. I don't know what I would do with it it or how to get rid of it. I just made my first couple 5 gallon batches and my first instinct is "man, this is a blast and it tastes amazing, time to make another one!" but I have no idea what to do or how to get rid of all this beer lol. I just don't see the sense in having the ability to make 25+ gallons in one batch useful unless you're selling it.
Sounds like you need more friends to help you drink it :-). The main reason I went bigger was because I brew the same few beers frequently during the Winter months and brewing big allows me to brew less often and can get through the summer.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #84
Ben58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
Sounds like you need more friends to help you drink it :-).
Or a wife who enjoys the beer as much as you!

"The lawn looks fine, go ahead and brew, you enjoy it and you work too hard".

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #85
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Me too, I live on the way to the golf course where a bunch of my friends play. They stop to have 2 or 3 before they go play. I had to go to 15 gallon batches on the beers my friends like. Didn't have to I guess, but I for one get the larger size.
Thought about the Brewhemoth deal, the Glacier tank looks too good. Well thought out piece I must say.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #86
snackson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
I wanted to keep this a secret til I got mine . But I think this is the best thing on the market. Go to http://www.ssbrewtech.com/ and click on brew bucket. You can thank me later
Yeah, I have been on the list for a while. Thinking about a Brewhemoth instead. Have you gotten yours and used it yet?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #87
snackson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakPond View Post
My main question to you guys. I have nothing against making this amazing setup, it looks amazing and I would love to have it, but what the heck are you guys planning on doing with 30 gallons of beer? I understand it's cool and all, and I'm new to the game, but unless you're selling it legitimately on a microbrew level type company, that's just such a huge volume. I don't know what I would do with it it or how to get rid of it. I just made my first couple 5 gallon batches and my first instinct is "man, this is a blast and it tastes amazing, time to make another one!" but I have no idea what to do or how to get rid of all this beer lol.

I just don't see the sense in having the ability to make 25+ gallons in one batch useful unless you're selling it.
For me it's easy, busy all the time and not enough time to brew. I have two year old triplets at home and stationed on an Aircraft Carrier so my time at home is valueable and usually dedicated to family/honey-do-list or getting some rest in between 12-16 hour days. I am just getting back into it after a 2 year hiatus where I made 15 gallons total, I want to brew enough at once where it will last in between brewdays.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #88
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamssvg
I want to hopefully get everything done in the conical if possible. Since the Glacier conicals are rated upwards of 15PSI I figured it was to allow you to save the CO2 from fermentation to naturally carbonate the beer. Has anyone been successful in doing this?
I do this all the time with my 60g glacier tanks.

I bought the single wall and then welded in a cooling coil in the lid. They work great and were relatively inexpensive as well as being overall really good people to do business with.
image-591558245.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #89
bluelakebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

To those with the glacier tanks carbing in the tank with a carbonation stone, how long does it take to get your desired volumes of co2 using the stone?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #90
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakebrewing
To those with the glacier tanks carbing in the tank with a carbonation stone, how long does it take to get your desired volumes of co2 using the stone?
I'll try to answer your question but there are a lot if variables to consider including, volume of beer to carbonate, temperature, gravity, and pressure of CO2 etc.. I naturally carbonate by closing the fermenter at 50-75% and let the natural CO2 produced during fermentation carbonate the beer. If it's not carbonated to the level I prefer I transfer to the other fermenter and force carbonate with a 6" stone inserted in the bottom of the fermenter with the CO2 set at 12PSI and cooled to 34 degrees. This is my process for Lagers that make up the majority of what I brew. Generally speaking it is much faster to carbonate in my Glacier fermenter with the stone in the bottom verses in corney kegs. Hope that helps..

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Quick Reply