Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Choosing A Conical Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #71
williamssvg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi,

I came across your post on your Glacier tank experience while doing some research of my own.

I am looking to purchase one with the intention of using it as a uni-tank; for both primary and secondary fermentation and then directly transfer to a keg for serving.

I am really interested in using it as a pressurized fermenter, how has your experience been with this? I am hoping I won't have to do any forced carbonation. From what I have seen, people who ferment under pressure first use and air lock and then attach the pressure relief valve after. Any idea why you can't use the pressure valve from the start of fermentation and adjust as pressure in the tank changes.

Please share your sources with information on pressurized fermentation.

Thanks a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #72
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Brewers Hardware in now making jacketed home brew size conicals too.

http://www.brewershardware.com/

Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #73
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamssvg View Post
Hi,

I came across your post on your Glacier tank experience while doing some research of my own.

I am looking to purchase one with the intention of using it as a uni-tank; for both primary and secondary fermentation and then directly transfer to a keg for serving.

I am really interested in using it as a pressurized fermenter, how has your experience been with this? I am hoping I won't have to do any forced carbonation. From what I have seen, people who ferment under pressure first use and air lock and then attach the pressure relief valve after. Any idea why you can't use the pressure valve from the start of fermentation and adjust as pressure in the tank changes.

Please share your sources with information on pressurized fermentation.

Thanks a lot.
williamssvg
I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess....
What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #74
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer View Post
williamssvg
I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess....
What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...
Is there a reason that you're not using a bright tank to carbonate? I kind of like the natural carbonation idea.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #75
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer
williamssvg I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess.... What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...
I use a pressure relief valve as emergancy only and use a blow off tube for 75% fermentation then close the valve to the blow off and let it carb up. Works perfect and never had any issues. Pressure relief valve has a1.25" inlet and should not get plugged easy.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #76
williamssvg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
Is there a reason that you're not using a bright tank to carbonate? I kind of like the natural carbonation idea.
I want to hopefully get everything done in the conical if possible. Since the Glacier conicals are rated upwards of 15PSI I figured it was to allow you to save the CO2 from fermentation to naturally carbonate the beer.

Has anyone been successful in doing this?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #77
williamssvg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer View Post
williamssvg
Wondering, what would cause the relief valve to get blocked? If you leave enough head space in the fermenter I guess you should not have the problem?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #78
williamssvg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
I use a pressure relief valve as emergancy only and use a blow off tube for 75% fermentation then close the valve to the blow off and let it carb up. Works perfect and never had any issues. Pressure relief valve has a1.25" inlet and should not get plugged easy.
What is your pressure relief valve set to? I was just wondering how you are able to know how much CO2 is being produced during fermentation to make sure you end up with the right amount of CO2 in your beer at the end.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #79
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Brewhemoth just made my decision really easy.......
http://www.brewhemoth.com/black-friday-sale-25-1

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #80
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpweeks View Post
Brewhemoth just made my decision really easy.......
http://www.brewhemoth.com/black-friday-sale-25-1
That's a deal. Wish their lid was larger, may get one anyway.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Quick Reply