Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Choosing A Conical Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #41
andrhamm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
Glacier Tanks are having new lids made for me to my specifications with a 4" tri-clamp ferrule in the center and a 1.5" tri-clamp ferrule offset. The 1.5" opening will be used for blow assembly etc. and 4" opening will be used for pitching yeast, dry hopping, inspection, and to add an immersion chiller. You could have the tanks modified to your specs if needed.
That's nice, it's too bad that's not standard. I believe it is on the Blichmann

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #42
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blichmann has an opening similar to a soda keg and Brehemoth has a 3-4" Tri clamp. I could make due with the 1 1/2" opening but I plan to add a chiller to the conicals and a larger hole will make it removable without removing the blow off assembly. Many people use a concentric reducer if the are pitching yeast or hops. I could remove the entire 12" Tri clamp lid but I rather just have the alternate opening for what it cost. More personal preference.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/15-g...-build-223291/
Also contains info on conicals.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #44
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've been meaning to follow-up on my recent purchase. Due to this group buy thread- shut down, since it violates forum policies - I ended up taking advantage of my location in China and purchasing one. The manufacturer is the Chinese supplier to Glacier, but my fermenter is quite a bit different. I started with a simpler 50L design of theirs which from memory was about 3500 RMB (~$550). Dealing locally direct with them and paying cash, I avoided VAT ,freight, and duty. I then proceeded to customize it by extending the legs to a height perfect for racking into a corny, adding casters, a thermowell, and an internal coiling coil. The intention of the coil is not for initial chilling of the wort, as it would be horribly inefficient for that. The aim is to connect it with a pump to recirculate chilled water through it for controlling fermentation temps without the use of a dedicated fridge. All my mods ran the price tag up to 4200 RMB (~$665) I took delivery in January, but at the same time learned I'll be returning to the US a year earlier than planned. So no more brewing here, and I won't get to test it until later in the summer after I'm home. Visually I'm extremely happy with it. Unfortunately this is of little use to anyone else, since the supplier doesn't have interest in one-off units. But I thought the coil set-up may be of interest to others.

My plan is to boil directly in the conical fermenter using a heat stick. Then pump out the racking port and through a counterflow chiller. I'll add a port somewhere higher up the side for a whirlpool inlet. Previously I've been fermenting in my kettle with good success. By moving to the conical, I'll have the ability to drop the trub before pitching. I'll have to report back later on how that works out.

p1050187.jpg   p1050184.jpg   p1050183.jpg  
File Type: pdf 121113 50L-Model.pdf (71.0 KB, 88 views)

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #45
DHdriver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like a nice setup, I'd be interested to hear about fermenting in your kettle. I had similar idea of a heatstick in a conical after biab, then gravity feed into a keg, seems like I'm getting lazy.
With that coil in there you could probably rig up some type of steam boiler to heat it.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #46
MaxOut
Recipes 

Here are my conicals in their automated chambers.

image-3025474676.jpg   image-4036593966.jpg  

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #47
runbad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut
Sexy

Old 02-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #48
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut
You have probably covered this in another thread but how do you fill those beauts. They look too heavy to fill then place so I am guessing a pump is involved?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #49
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova

You have probably covered this in another thread but how do you dill those beauts. The look to heavy to fill then place so I am guessing a pump is involved?

After boil I pump hot wort through a plate chiller, O2 injection and straight into the racking port of the fermenter. (see below) I built a cart that has a filter, Chugger pump, plate chiller and O2 injection. I use this cart to handle the final transfer in one swoop to the fermenter. Im working on a yeast brink that I will use to incubate yeast and use O2 to push it into the stream of cooled oxygenated wort inline heading to fermenter. The chambers are on wheels and the connections unplug from behind so I can roll the chamber closer to my boil kettle. The fermenters stay in the chambers and are cleaned in place with a spray ball.
image-1298420576.jpg  

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #50
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Nice thread Maxout! Got this one bookmarked in case I ever decide to take the conical plunge. For now though, I'll have to slink away before I become insanely jealous

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Quick Reply