Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Choosing A Conical Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #91
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Brewers Hardware in now making jacketed home brew size conicals too.

http://www.brewershardware.com/
Yeah, the OP should definitely update the first post with some of the newer options out there. I've used the non-jacketed Brewers Hardware conical for a couple of batches, and it is quite a piece of hardware. You can get it jacketed and non-jacketed, and in a range of sizes from 15 gallon to 42 gallon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #92
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What am I missing in the 7 gallon conical size when I'm looking at the Stout Tanks at $329-$479 versus the $795 from Glacier tanks?

Is it the size? It looks like the Glacier tanks are much more narrow.

It also looks like the Glacier tanks already comes with a butterfly valve.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #93
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat View Post
What am I missing in the 7 gallon conical size when I'm looking at the Stout Tanks at $329-$479 versus the $795 from Glacier tanks?

Glacier doesn't do much of the small stuff, they mostly cater to profession breweries hence the expense is higher as they can't pack a shipping container full of them and move them....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #94
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
Yeah, the OP should definitely update the first post with some of the newer options out there. I've used the non-jacketed Brewers Hardware conical for a couple of batches, and it is quite a piece of hardware. You can get it jacketed and non-jacketed, and in a range of sizes from 15 gallon to 42 gallon.

For some reason the thread is locked and I cannot go back and edit previous post.

I will look into it further and update the list on the first page if I get opened back up.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #95
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat View Post

The Glacier tanks are built very well and come with all hardware needed to use. They do specialize in larger tanks and not much value in the smaller ones. For $300.00 more you can get a 25 gallon. Their 7 gallon conical is a little high priced but is like a piece of art that should be displayed.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #96
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
The Glacier tanks are built very well and come with all hardware needed to use. They do specialize in larger tanks and not much value in the smaller ones. For $300.00 more you can get a 25 gallon. Their 7 gallon conical is a little high priced but is like a piece of art that should be displayed.

Agreed, I love my twins and bright!imageuploadedbyhome-brew1395936761.138818.jpgimageuploadedbyhome-brew1395937006.989026.jpg

Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #97
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Agreed, I love my twins and bright!Attachment 188839Attachment 188840

Sweet, Have you put the brite tank to work yet? Thats one pretty tank! How do you plan to chill it. Just curious why you chose to use a chiller/coil combo to cool your fermenters verses a chamber? How is it working out? I initially considered that option and decided the chambers would suit me better and actually cost much less. I worried in my unconditioned shop I would get big temp variations due to surface warming in the summer. I also installed a second heat circuit for d-rest in each chamber. I use a dedicated BCS to control my fermentation schedule and works really good.

MaxOut Brewstat

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #98
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
Sweet, Have you put the brite tank to work yet? Thats one pretty tank! How do you plan to chill it. Just curious why you chose to use a chiller/coil combo to cool your fermenters verses a chamber? How is it working out? I initially considered that option and decided the chambers would suit me better and actually cost much less. I worried in my unconditioned shop I would get big temp variations due to surface warming in the summer. I also installed a second heat circuit for d-rest in each chamber. I use a dedicated BCS to control my fermentation schedule and works really good.

MaxOut Brewstat

Yes sir, it has about 12g left in it of a 40g batch of continuously hopped IPA. I built a 5x8 coldroom in the garage where the bright lives. Originally I was planning on having my unitanks on wheels and keeping the garage at a set temp through an external AC unit but that was insane. I tested out the coil approach and found that once temps stabilized they work great and can crash down to 40 in an 80 degree garage! It's a little extra cleanup but not too bad and fantastic results!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #99
calebstringer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Can anyone help? Stout tanks list their 40g conical as able to be pressurized to 4 psi. But Ive seen people post that they bought them due to the fact they will hold 15 psi. Any comments?

I love brewers hardwares 30g, but Idk if they will fit in an upright freezer or not... I can "complete" (relative, I know, right?) my brewhaus for literally half the cost going with three freezers, controller(s) and three stout conicals, than three BH jacketed conicals, and building my own heat/cool system.

Help?

Also, does anybody have the specs on BH 30g non jacketed conicals? I emailed, but haven't had a response yet

Old 06-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #100
hunter306
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm running two of 'Americanhomebrewings' tanks, which I believe are a mix of Toledo Metal Spinnings conical hoppers and asian import leg kits and valves.

The price was right for two, and so far I've been extremely happy with them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOMEBREW-CONICAL-FERMENTER-12-5-GALLON-STAINLESS-beer-wine-/291112782686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7ac 8b5e

keg 3: Java-Chocolate Stout (7.8%) | keg 4:Mt Hood Pils (5.8%)
Check out my electric brewery!

Quick Reply