The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chillzilla Efficiency Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
DirtyMick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chillzilla Efficiency Problems

I just bought a Chillzilla and used it last weekend. I live in Texas and it has been HOT , thus the coldest I could get the tap water was ~80 DegF. I wanted to get the inlet water cooler than that for maximum heat transfer, so I coiled about 10 ft of garden hose in a cooler filled with ice and water, doing this dropped the inlet water temp to ~50 DegF at wide open faucet. Using a gravity feed set up I opened the boil kettle valve and let the wort flow out full open. It took about 10 minuted to run 5 gallons of wort through it. The wort starting temp was 205 DegF and after Chillzilla was 100 DegF. I was not that impressed with the cooling efficiency. And want some thoughts on how I could get a cooler wort. Note ambient air temperature that day was ~100 DegF and 30% humidity.
I think in the future I will keep the water rate High and try and slow down the wort rate as it runs through the counter flow chiller. I have also thought about running the wort output hose through an ice bath before it goes to the carboy...
Other suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

On Deck: Autumn Goat Weizenbock
Drinking: Biere de Mars
Drinking: Independence IPA
Drinking: Scottish Strong Ale
Drinking: Spiced Apple Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Sorry man, I have to call bullship on your "prechiller" dropping your tap temp by 30F at full flow. You problem measured water coming out that had been sitting in that hose for a while. You'd have trouble doing that with 10' of COPPER in icewater, nevermind a garden hose. It's more likely that the chiller was seeing 79F water.

I do have an Idea for you though. Fill your cooler up with ice to the very top. Then top it off with water and add rock salt. Hook the drain of the cooler up to the input of the chiller and let it flow. Run your garden hose into the cooler to replenish the water draining out. You'll have near freezing water running in your chiller for at least as long as you have ice melting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 08-28-2007 at 01:28 AM.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
DirtyMick
Recipes 

Bobby,
When you called bull**** it got me thinking... I did measure the "prechiller" water only once and that was right after I turned it on, so the water temp I measured was the water that had had been static and cooled way down, not the true flowing water temp...
I like your idea and will give it some thought. Have you used such a set up???
Cheers,
Mike

On Deck: Autumn Goat Weizenbock
Drinking: Biere de Mars
Drinking: Independence IPA
Drinking: Scottish Strong Ale
Drinking: Spiced Apple Cider

Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yes, I have done the icewater gravity feed. It works. My tap water was 86F on my last batch. It uses a lot of ice unfortunately, but that's just what it takes during the summer. It's far better to brew twice as much in the winter and just drink all summer long.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
It's far better to brew twice as much in the winter and just drink all summer long.
Ya got that right!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

If you're using a chillzilla, why not stick the whole thing in an ice bath? It's all copper, so you'd be chilling the cooling water as it chills the wort. Might be worth a try.

FWIW, I use a post-chiller immersed in an ice bath after my CFC for similar reasons. I can get the wort down below 70', but I've got to restrict the flow to about 3-4 mins/gal.

Last edited by Lil' Sparky; 09-03-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply