Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheyco's CFC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #71
kainoa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Great guide

This thread was a great help! Many thanks!

Here's how mine turned out using your instructions. Took me only about an hour to make. The parts cost me $90 total, but the good part is that hose and tubing was 50 feet. My CFC is 25', so i have enough material to make another. I think i'll make it next weekend and sell it on CL or Ebay. Solid!

*time you enjoy wasting, isn't wasted time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #72
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

long live this thread . I wish I would have known what a CFC was before I did my first AG brew using the immersion wort chiller. The immersion wort chiller had a hard time getting the wort temperature down quickly. Think I might go up to Home Depot and price all the parts in a few.

cheers
-Chris

Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #73
Zaphod42
Recipes 

Default Minor Mod

I read through this thread and decided I'd just go into ACE across the street and peice it together.... one thing that came out of this that I have not seen on this thread, and that I think simplifies things just a bit, is the valve attached directly to the Tee. In Kansas City we have very warm water in the summer and ver cold water in the winter so controlling the flow is mandatory.
There really is no need to have a 6 to 10 inch peice of hose coupling the brass tee to your water supply. Just plug right in.

Reason: pic

Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #74
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

just made mine today after using an IC for the last 8 months and taking over 30 minutes to cool the wort. Planning on installing a weldless fitting to my Boil kettle and letting good ol gravity feed it through the CFC.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #75
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just made mine, thanks a lot, im gona test it next weekend but im positive it will work great. Because thread is rather old i want to update prices i payed on the components
25' 5/8" garden hose (couldnt find 25'' so i had to go with 50''- $12 at costco)
25' 3/8"OD copper tubing- $37 with 2x 1/2'' tees and shipping from SIM Supply
2- 1/2" NPT female brass tees- $2.75 each ^^^^^^^^^^
2- 3/8"compression x 1/2"male NPT fittings $4 each from lowes
4- 5/8"hose barb x 1/2" male NPT fittings $3.08 each from lowes
4- 5/8" Hose clamps 0.95 each from homedepo
Total ~$78

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #76
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was just wondering if you absolutely have to get the "high temp" garden hose. Can you just use the cheaper stuff? I can't get a 25 ft. garden hose in town for less than $25. I found a CFC on Austinhomebrew.com for about the same price as it would be for me to make one using the high temp hose. Just wondering if it would be possible to use anything other than rubber garden hose.

Thanks!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #77
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoccer View Post
I was just wondering if you absolutely have to get the "high temp" garden hose. Can you just use the cheaper stuff? I can't get a 25 ft. garden hose in town for less than $25. I found a CFC on Austinhomebrew.com for about the same price as it would be for me to make one using the high temp hose. Just wondering if it would be possible to use anything other than rubber garden hose.

Thanks!
I guess i missed high temp garden hose requirement because i used the cheapest i could find. I run 2 5 gal batches of really hot wort (~190 F) and it worked fine, actually its perfect, at 90 F weather i had to reduce cooling water flow to i would say 10-20% of my supply to get wort at 72

Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #78
exe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just built my CFC according to this thread and tested it tonight for the first time with boiling water. This bad boy took down 5 gallons of 212 degree water to 66 degrees within 12-15 minutes! I do not have a pump and before today did not have a valve, but after installing a weldless ball valve I will rely on gravity to feed the CFC....worked very well during my test.

One thing that I did on the build that really helped was using a funnel to force some water & dishwashing liquid down the hose ... this helped tremendously when feeding the copper into the rubber tubing. Total build time was 1 hr.

I bought all the parts off the shelf at HD and the whole shebang cost $100. I realize I could have probably cut down the cost, but once I get an idea in my head it's hard to wait the few extra days for internet shipping...I would highly recommend this build for anyone considering a DIY CFC.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #79
lemmiwinks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Bringing this one back from the dead.....

Getting ready to build this over the holiday weekend most likely and have a question on the 'T' junctions and fittings
Does the 3/8" copper tubing run through the 5/8" hose barb and out through the T and the compression fitting?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS