The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chest Freezer Temperature Controller Question..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
royalxtc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest Freezer Temperature Controller Question..

So, this whole brewing process is fairly new to me, I've recently bottled my first batch of an Amber Lager, with an Oktoberfest on it's way to be kegged.
Now, I recently purchased a Kenmore 5.1 cu. ft. chest freezer and it works great, along with that purchase, a Johnson Temp. Controller, seen here; http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contro.../dp/B0002EAL58.
Like I said, this is new to me, and my question to everyone here is if the chest freezer is supposed to be off (or seemingly off)? I'm not too sure how this Temp. Controller works exactly, obviously I know what it's supposed to do/what I want it to do, but should I be concerned or not? I have a thermometer in the freezer that's reading about 39 degrees now, and the temp. controller set at around 38 degrees fahrenheit.
Am I overreacting? I set up the controller roughly 7 hours ago.
Simple question, how do these darn things work, in plain ol' English?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
webby45wr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

While I don't have an external temperature controller, from what I've read on these forums, it seems to be working properly. The Johnson controller overrides the power to the freezer. Basically, when the temperature hits "roughly" 38F (where you have it set), it removes power to the freezer. Power will turn back on to the freezer when the temperature rises to the factory set differential, which I believe for this model is 3.5 degrees. I.e. the controller removes power to the freezer at 38F and will restore power to cool it back down around 42F. These temperatures are all "rough" because the analog controller is not as precise as the digital ones.

On Deck: Peanut Butter Stout; Bacon Beer
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Winter Warmer; Dubbel; East India Porter; Tripel; Smoked Cranberry Stout; Leftover Pale Ale;
Kegged: Porter; Bock; Belgian Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply