Chest Freezer & Temp Controller Setup Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Hello Hello. Sorry for a new thread on this topic, but I have a brand spanking new chest freezer in my basement and a Johnson A419, which will be delivered today. I am brewing tomorrow, and want to get this right.

Here's the plan:

-Tape probe to glass carboy and cover with bubble wrap, too protect from ambient temp in freezer. This should give me a fairly close reading as to what the temp of the wort is. Correct?

-If I want to ferment @ 67, Do I set the controller to 67 with a differential of +/- 1??? Current temp inside the freezer (which is unplugged) is 61 degrees.

Advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Tape probe to glass carboy and cover with bubble wrap, too protect from ambient temp in freezer. This should give me a fairly close reading as to what the temp of the wort is. Correct?

-If I want to ferment @ 67, Do I set the controller to 67 with a differential of +/- 1??? Current temp inside the freezer (which is unplugged) is 61 degrees.

Advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Yes and yes*.

*I know many people will set at 67 if they want to ferment at 67, and you are correct that the probe taped to the glass will reflect the temperature near the edge of the fermenter. However, with my fridge, I usually set my controller to 1 degree lower, b/c I feel that better reflects the overall temperature throughout the carboy. According to a BYO article I read awhile back, the center of the carboy is warmer than the edge of the carboy, so I feel that 1 degree less on the outside of the carboy better reflects my desired temperature throught the carboy. It's probably splitting hairs, but I thought to at least mention it.

If the current temp is 61 and you want 67, you will need a way to raise the temperature of the ferm fridge. Do you have that capability?

You do realize that if your temp in the freezer is 61, the temp control is not going to bring up the temp...only down.

You do realize that if your temp in the freezer is 61, the temp control is not going to bring up the temp...only down.

I do. I figure if I pitch yeast at around 64, once it kicks off it should rise to 66-68 area. The controller would kick on if the probe hits 68.

I don't have capability to heat at the moment.

cool. Yeah I would set it to 68. the only thing to keep an eye on is when your fermentation starts to slow down, sometimes the freezer cranks to bring it down and you end up lower than you wanted. I sometimes raise the temp controller to 69 or 70 once I'm sure fermentation is slowing. That way you don't end up with a big temp drop just as it's slowing.

cool. Yeah I would set it to 68. the only thing to keep an eye on is when your fermentation starts to slow down, sometimes the freezer cranks to bring it down and you end up lower than you wanted. I sometimes raise the temp controller to 69 or 70 once I'm sure fermentation is slowing. That way you don't end up with a big temp drop just as it's slowing.

Appreciate it...Yup- Was going to keep it cool for first 3-4 days, then adjust the temp to ensure it doesn't get too cool.

Anyone see any issues with wrapping carboy in blanket or sweatshirt and resting on towel in chest freezer to conserve some heat? Temps may dip in the basement and want to keep temp up.

So my first fermentation went great.....

I now have a heating pad and an additional analog temp controller, to pair with my Johnson Digital. Current temp inside chamber is low 50's. I want to ferment at 67.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/conversion-kits/tower-kits/A19AAT-2C.shtml?bstr=1

My plan:

-Hook freezer up to analog controller and set at 67. I am assuming the freezer will kick on if the temp hits 68.

-Hook my Johnson A419 to the heating pad (which is place near carboy, not touching it) and set it to heat mode.

What should my settings be on the A419? I want to ferment between 66-68. Would I set it to 65 with a +/- of 1?

[...]What should my settings be on the A419? I want to ferment between 66-68. Would I set it to 65 with a +/- of 1?

You'd set it to 67°F with 1 degree differential. If the temperature goes above 68 the compressor will kick in and drive it back down to 67, where it will shut off; if the temperature drops below 66 the heater will kick in and drive it back up to 67, where it will shut off...

Cheers!

Back