Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chest Freezer Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Dr Malt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default Chest Freezer Question

Those of you who use a chest freezer for temperature control of fermentations, how do handle getting containers of beer at the 5 gallon volumes or more into and out of the freezer?? That's a lot of weight and not the best for your back. What am I missing here??

Dr Malt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

im pretty scrwany but i just lift them in and out i have a 6" collar on mine to and the freezer sits on a 2-4" ledge in my garage so its pretty high.

Im actually going to either put a half barrel or a pony keg in there eventually. also i have some big friends that can help me but i was thinking maybe bolting a pullie system to the ceiling joist above the kreezer (its in the garage if this was in a house i would NIX it) to lift them up and move them in.

15 gallons of beer in a SS KEG is way to heavy for me to lift let alone into something like a chest freezer!

*i just saw you where not talking about a kegorator but a fermenter! carboys are a PIA to get in and out of my freezer lol, they do make a harness system for them though made of nylon webbing.

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It is actually very easy, and I will describe the steps below.

One, Open the lid of the chest freezer
Two, Place carboy or lagering keg in freezer
Three, close the lid.

When working with the carboys, it helps if you have a brewhauler or a milk crate to use to carry around that unweildy thing. When you are in the secondary fermenter, I like to use kegs as they already have handles.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

For carboys, you'll want to use either a milk crate or brew hauler for sure. I have no problem with corny kegs. The handles are comfy and my collar goes up with the lid.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I only put kegs in. I grab the top & bottom, hoist it to the collar, then grip the middle & let it slide down. I built the collar is strong enough to support a keg without shifting or damage. This is at my physical limits (I'm 55 and a keyboard jockey) and I'm seriously thinking about attaching a block & tackle on a rail to the ceiling.

In California, I used one for hoisting buckets of sparge water.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I am also thinking of changing to Better Bottles as the plastic construction would be safer and lighter. I recently had 2 glass carboys break in a month. They were about 6 years old, well used and empty, but it would not have been pretty if I were carrying them.

Dr Malt

Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just make sure you get the big better bottles with the extra head room. When you pick the bottles up around the middle, you can squeeze the sides in forcing out the beer if you have filled them up to the top.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Quick Reply