Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chest freezer might need new "start unit"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
GalenSevinne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest freezer might need new "start unit"

My chest freezer has died but it would cost too much to have someone come in and fix it as it is old and purchased cheaply off Craigslist. An appiance guy I spoke to on the phone said the problem sounded like a dead "start unit" as he called it.

What would it take to replace this start unit? I don't even know the brand of the chest freezer as it is that old and has been painted over a couple times. Are the start units universal?

Any help on this process would be appreciated.

"G" Scotch ale
Tupleo Honey IPA
Dead Brown Mouse Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4630 Times on 4312 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Isn;t a "start unit" basically just a big capacitor?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

most hermetic compressors have an external capacitor that does sometimes go bad. it's a $10-20 part and is worth replacing before considering the unit to be scrap.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Does the unit/compressor go buzzzzzzzzz and then click off? If it has a capacitor used to help start then it might be bad. The other possibility is the relay. The capacitor generally has a small round hole by the terminals. If it is bad, then you will get some indication of leakage or something there. It can be checked with an ohm meter. An appliance parts store will generally do this for you.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My start capacitor essentially exploded, I just had to disconnect the old one and put the new one it. The hardest part was finding a place that had one in stock, I think it was in the $40-50 range.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
GalenSevinne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Does the unit/compressor go buzzzzzzzzz and then click off? If it has a capacitor used to help start then it might be bad. The other possibility is the relay. The capacitor generally has a small round hole by the terminals. If it is bad, then you will get some indication of leakage or something there. It can be checked with an ohm meter. An appliance parts store will generally do this for you.
yes that is the symptom. sounds like it wants to start then clicks and goes off. I don't know much about this stuff but the compressor is an Embraco "EM40sc".

I am wondering if anyone can post a link to the capacitor that might be needed or just a typical capacitor so I can know what to look for?

Thanks.
"G" Scotch ale
Tupleo Honey IPA
Dead Brown Mouse Ale

Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalenSevinne View Post
yes that is the symptom. sounds like it wants to start then clicks and goes off. I don't know much about this stuff but the compressor is an Embraco "EM40sc".

I am wondering if anyone can post a link to the capacitor that might be needed or just a typical capacitor so I can know what to look for?

Thanks.
This gives a rough idea bout what it would look like It is a round plastic two terminal device in most cases. Especially older units.
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli.../capacitor.php

Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You need to pull the old capacitor to get the voltage and mF numbers before you do anything else.

I buy capacitors through A/C supply companies (my father has an A/C license), but you can purchase them at reasonable prices through McMaster. If you pay more than $20 for a residential motor capacitor, you're paying too much.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
GalenSevinne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
This gives a rough idea bout what it would look like It is a round plastic two terminal device in most cases. Especially older units.
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli.../capacitor.php
dang...is it really that dangerous to pull this thing out? I have had the freezer unplugged now for about a month.
"G" Scotch ale
Tupleo Honey IPA
Dead Brown Mouse Ale

Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalenSevinne View Post
dang...is it really that dangerous to pull this thing out? I have had the freezer unplugged now for about a month.
Not really. Don't use your tongue to discharge it. Not recommended but always used by techs, place a screw driver between the terminals and see if it sparks. These things USUALLY discharge over time though. If not, they would make great batteries.

Quick Reply