Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chest Freezer for Fermentation Chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #31
OmniBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

After thinking about it for a bit, and realizing my current needs, I think that I am gonna go with the Johnson A419 for my fermentation chamber (which will become a Kezzer later on). I really have no need for a 2 stage controller at this time. Perhaps once I am able to get another fridge to ferment in, and when I have more room, I'll snag an STC-1000.

I realized that I have zero tools (wire strippers, electrical tape etc, etc) even for a very basic wiring job that the STC-1000 requires. So after I added up cost for the STC, tools, parts, etc....it was nearing 40-50 bucks. My local brewshop has a Johnson A419 for around $71 out the door and I think the extra $20-$30 (which I realize would get me ANOTHER STC-1000) is worth the time and convenience of literally just setting it up and forgetting it.

Honestly, I also don't trust myself even with this super easy wiring set up. I think I would be in constant stress mode over it blowing something or starting a fire because I had wires touching, etc.

Again, thanks for everyone's insight...and once I am in need of a duel controller, I will definitely look at the STC-1000

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #32
Mozart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniBrewer View Post
After thinking about it for a bit, and realizing my current needs, I think that I am gonna go with the Johnson A419 for my fermentation chamber (which will become a Kezzer later on). I really have no need for a 2 stage controller at this time. Perhaps once I am able to get another fridge to ferment in, and when I have more room, I'll snag an STC-1000.
I'm a little late to this thread, but I took the same approach -- though I have a Rancho instead of a Johnson.

I love that I don't have to wire anything. Replacing an electrical outlet or switch in my house is really the most complicated I really want to get.

Besides, I live in Southern California so I don't think I'll ever really need 2 stage temp control. With the weather here, I don't imagine ever having to keep a fermenting ale warm, even in the winter in my uninsulated garage.

Cheers!

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply