Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chest Freezer for Fermentation Chamber?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigFloyd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 4,806
Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
^^^ The upright piano keezer!


Sweet looking keezer Bigfloyd.
Thanks.

That wood (all solid oak) is from an old 10ft+ church pew we bought for next to nothing many years ago from a remodeling at our church. It was starting to split along the glued joints, so I "re-purposed" it. If you look closely enough, the faucets are mounted through a communion cup holder and the drain pan sits inside the hymnal holder that had been on the back of the pew.
__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #12
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,512
Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

That's awesome! I thought that the faucet mounting plate looked weird but never would have put it together.

__________________
LovesIPA is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Toecutter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Riverside, ca
Posts: 594
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default

craigslist. I have 2, paid less than $50 for each one. They both have Ranco controllers. The smaller one I use for a Ferm chamber. Once its fermented, I keg it into Cornies, and put the in the larger one to condition, it holds 6 Cornies and a 15lb CO2 bottle. They sit in there for 30-60 days conditioning until I transfer to my 2 tap kegerator . I brew 10 gallon batches.

__________________
When a naked man is chasing a naked woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - Dirty Harry

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen
Toecutter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yesfan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 753
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
Thanks.

That wood (all solid oak) is from an old 10ft+ church pew we bought for next to nothing many years ago from a remodeling at our church. It was starting to split along the glued joints, so I "re-purposed" it. If you look closely enough, the faucets are mounted through a communion cup holder and the drain pan sits inside the hymnal holder that had been on the back of the pew.
LOL! I guess you could say that keezer is blessed.


Pretty ingenious. Very impressive!
__________________
On Deck: Nut Brown Ale, West Coast Radical Red, Mongoose IPA, Strawberry Blonde, Cascading Falls Pale Ale
Primary: Dawson's Multigrain Red, Yazoo Dos Perros clone
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Keeler's Reverse Burster Altbier, Petite Saison d'Ete, St Paddy's Irish Stout, Rum Runner Stout (1G), La Petite Orange, Chocolate Milk Stout
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA
Yesfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
OmniBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 4

Default

BigFloyd,

That Keezer looks awesome!

I was definitely thinking about double using as a Fermentation Chamber and keezer, but currently, I am still bottling and don't have any Cornies yet. (only can do one thing at a time)...which is where I was stuck on where to spend my money. Surrently, I only have about $200 extra right now...so I can't afford to buy a keg system AND something to keep it cold (extra fridge, small fridge, or chest freezer)...so, since I can find a chest freezer for about 50-100 used, I am gonna pick one of those up, an STC-1000 temp controller (this seems to be the most popular) and then have a dedicated Fermentation Chamber and continue bottling until I can get a corny and then convert the Chamber into a Keezer...and at that point, I'll come back to the double usage debate


Thanks for all the insight, and the pics guys! Something to get me motivated and inspired

__________________
OmniBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yesfan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 753
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into your path towards kegging, but I think if I found a deal on some used 5 gallon cornies, I would jump on that first whether you have the chest freezer or not. The used market seems to be drying up.

I've only been brewing for a year, but when I started last summer, I saw a distributor on eBay that was selling ball lock cornies by the hundreds. I bought half a dozen for about $30 each after shipping. I think I bought the kegs before I bought the starter kit or propane burner

__________________
On Deck: Nut Brown Ale, West Coast Radical Red, Mongoose IPA, Strawberry Blonde, Cascading Falls Pale Ale
Primary: Dawson's Multigrain Red, Yazoo Dos Perros clone
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Keeler's Reverse Burster Altbier, Petite Saison d'Ete, St Paddy's Irish Stout, Rum Runner Stout (1G), La Petite Orange, Chocolate Milk Stout
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA
Yesfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigFloyd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 4,806
Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniBrewer View Post
BigFloyd,

That Keezer looks awesome!

I was definitely thinking about double using as a Fermentation Chamber and keezer, but currently, I am still bottling and don't have any Cornies yet. (only can do one thing at a time)...which is where I was stuck on where to spend my money. Surrently, I only have about $200 extra right now...so I can't afford to buy a keg system AND something to keep it cold (extra fridge, small fridge, or chest freezer)...so, since I can find a chest freezer for about 50-100 used, I am gonna pick one of those up, an STC-1000 temp controller (this seems to be the most popular) and then have a dedicated Fermentation Chamber and continue bottling until I can get a corny and then convert the Chamber into a Keezer...and at that point, I'll come back to the double usage debate
Thanks.

If you have to pick one, go for the STC-1000 regulated fermenter chamber before all of the kegging stuff. Good temp control (both pitching and fermenting) will have more of a positive impact on the quality of your brew than anything else (including switching from extract to AG).

Unfortunately, I don't see how you can ever use one freezer or fridge for both fermenting and as a keezer/kegerator at the same time. My keezer stays at 38-39*F all the time. My fermenter chamber runs anywhere between 48*F for a lager to 73.5*F at the tail end of doing a Belgian dubbel.
__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
OmniBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yesfan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 753
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
......Unfortunately, I don't see how you can ever use one freezer or fridge for both fermenting and as a keezer/kegerator at the same time. My keezer stays at 38-39*F all the time. My fermenter chamber runs anywhere between 48*F for a lager to 73.5*F at the tail end of doing a Belgian dubbel.[/FONT]
Going from what I read here, it is possible to have a chest freezer do double duty. Is it easy? Maybe, maybe not. I can't because my Johnson controller is single stage only so I'll never know. The STC will let you run both, so you could have the ability to keep your kegs and use a brew belt or two for the higher temp ales and lagers. That's what I would have been doing if I had known about the STC controller (or any two stage controller for that matter) before jumping the gun on my Johnson.
__________________
On Deck: Nut Brown Ale, West Coast Radical Red, Mongoose IPA, Strawberry Blonde, Cascading Falls Pale Ale
Primary: Dawson's Multigrain Red, Yazoo Dos Perros clone
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Keeler's Reverse Burster Altbier, Petite Saison d'Ete, St Paddy's Irish Stout, Rum Runner Stout (1G), La Petite Orange, Chocolate Milk Stout
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA
Yesfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
OmniBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 4

Default

[QUOTE=Yesfan;5285077]Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into your path towards kegging, but I think if I found a deal on some used 5 gallon cornies, I would jump on that first whether you have the chest freezer or not. The used market seems to be drying up.


Yesfan,

Oh yeah, I have my eye out for any used cornies for sure..but I guess I meant full set up, i.e. corny, regulator, CO2, etc etc to get me fully kegging. I actually am talking to a guy that has a couple ball lock at $45 a piece and I might snag 1 or both and just clean them up and store them until I can get the rest.

The fermentation chamber seems like the best pay off for the buck as all I need is a used freezer and the STC-1000.

Thanks for the insight though, much appreciated

__________________
OmniBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
OmniBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
Thanks.

If you have to pick one, go for the STC-1000 regulated fermenter chamber before all of the kegging stuff. Good temp control (both pitching and fermenting) will have more of a positive impact on the quality of your brew than anything else (including switching from extract to AG).

Unfortunately, I don't see how you can ever use one freezer or fridge for both fermenting and as a keezer/kegerator at the same time. My keezer stays at 38-39*F all the time. My fermenter chamber runs anywhere between 48*F for a lager to 73.5*F at the tail end of doing a Belgian dubbel.
You know, I have been looking at STC-1000s and it seems more complicated than, say a Johnson controller. There seems to be a lot of wiring and adding outlets to the STC-1000. I know they are cheaper, but if I am only using a temp controller to either A) keep chest at 60-66 degrees while its a ferm chamber OR B) around 40-48 degrees once I convert it fully into a keezer...wouldn't a Johnson be easier, since I don't need to control more than 1 thing?
__________________
OmniBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chest freezer for fermentation chamber tcory77 DIY Projects 4 11-26-2012 09:07 PM
Chest freezer fermentation chamber High5Brewing Fermentation & Yeast 11 08-20-2012 08:13 PM
Chest Freezer/Fermentation Chamber HopSong Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-12-2012 07:20 PM
Chest Freezer Fermentation Chamber Help Pommy Equipment/Sanitation 4 04-09-2012 05:19 PM
Chest Freezer Fermentation Chamber bgarino DIY Projects 13 02-28-2012 08:27 PM