Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Chest freezer died

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Cregar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Chest freezer died

Hopefully someone might have a way I can fix my chest freezer.

I purchased it about 5 years ago to use as a fermentation chamber. For some reason it stopped getting cold. The compressor(????) get very warm when I try and use it.
Any suggestion on what might have happen and a way to fix it.

Th

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You might have a relay or capacitor problem. You probably have a refrigerant leak problem though. Refrigerant leak and components in the refrigerant circuit (the compressor) are basically not repairable at the household appliance level.

One thing is for sure though. You do not have a freon leak. (Because freon is a DuPont trademark for refrigerant that has become a dirty word and they abandoned many years ago)

Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood
You might have a relay or capacitor problem. You probably have a refrigerant leak problem though. Refrigerant leak and components in the refrigerant circuit (the compressor) are basically not repairable at the household appliance level.
Have to disagree with this. They are repairable, I do appliance repairs and do repair them. Will the repair be affordable? Depends on the problem. Start relay/capacitor problem $150-250, accessible leak $300-400, compressor replacement $600-800, un-accessible leak - buy a new freezer. Only way to know for sure is to have an appliance repair person give you an estimate. Call some appliance repair shops (look under appliance repairs NOT sales) in your area and ask how much to come do an estimate and make a decision if you want to pay that much to find out, or just go buy a new one and trash the old one.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Cbaddad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Craigslist. Price of one off there will be about as much as a repair man will charge you to come look at it. That is where I got mine for $100.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

YEa.. I was thinking it would probably cost more to fix then what I paid for it new ($150.00)

Wonder if its insulated enough to keep cool (64-68 degrees)with just adding a bag of ice.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregar View Post
YEa.. I was thinking it would probably cost more to fix then what I paid for it new ($150.00)

Wonder if its insulated enough to keep cool (64-68 degrees)with just adding a bag of ice.

Yes you can

When I was building my keezer the first freezer I bought crapped out-same as yours. Until I found another, I put a frozen gallon jug of ice in it in the morning and one at night and I maintained good fermentation temps in my garage in the middle of the summer. It would have been a lot of work to try to lager in it, but I could keep my beer in the mid 60s pretty easily.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Since the OP's question has been answered, I'll do a thread jack and ask a similar question.

Moved my keezer to the basement and it's been struggling to stay cold ever since. Holds the 42 degrees that the controller is set at, but it runs way more than it use to. Seems to be on almost all the time. I keep thinking it's going to die, but it's been this way for almost six months with no change. I'd think that if it was a coolant leak, it would have died by now. Any ideas?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Replace it or fix it because it's wasting electricity and costing you money.

I just junked an old fridge with broken seals for this reason. PECO gave me $15 for it under their recycling program.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Yes you can

When I was building my keezer the first freezer I bought crapped out-same as yours. Until I found another, I put a frozen gallon jug of ice in it in the morning and one at night and I maintained good fermentation temps in my garage in the middle of the summer. It would have been a lot of work to try to lager in it, but I could keep my beer in the mid 60s pretty easily.
How warm is your garage in the summer? I keep my apartment at about 78 to 80 during the day when I'm not home.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 587 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

If you're concerned about the insulation, just add to it. It's already a dead freezer, so just glue some pieces of rigid insulation to the outside. Or the inside. A full sheet of the stuff at Home Depot isn't very expensive.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply