Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
BuffaloSabresBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Cheap Wort Chiller

I stopped by Tractor Supply today and I found a turkey fryer for $60 which I though was an alright deal. But what I found that sparked my interest was vinyl tubing. Various diameters and rated for 175 degrees Fahrenheit. Does anyone see any reason why I couldn't make a cheap wort chiller out of this tubing for use after my ice bath brings my wort down to a safe temperature? The label said it was safe for water so anyone see any problems with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

It will be terribly inefficient. Vinyl is not very conductive, so heat transfer will be minimal. You'd be better off just using an ice bath than wasting your time with coiled up vinyl.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I was afraid of that I don't know anything about the heat transfer of vinyl but I was just a thought. Thanks Yuri.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
nicksteck

Recipes 

are you tslking im or cf chiller?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

immersion copper in ridiculously expensive here (as it is everywhere im sure) so i was looking for an alternative to a copper chiller and also something better than an ice bath

Old 11-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabresBrewer
immersion copper in ridiculously expensive here (as it is everywhere im sure) so i was looking for an alternative to a copper chiller and also something better than an ice bath.
That's where it gets tricky. For my first 8 brews or so I used a modified rubbermaid trash can rig that allowed me to submerge almost all of brew kettle in constantly moving, cold water. This did a decent job at cooling (25 minutes to pitching) as opposed to an ice bath.

The problem with that? It cost me about $35 to make all told and "degrees dropped per buck" was horrific.

I've heard this said a hundred times on the forums here but my copper chiller was perhaps one of the best investments I've made as a brewer. Don't spend any money on a half working solution; if money is tight, save a little at a time.

If you don't believe just how AMAZING the IC wort chillers are, find a brew buddy who can demonstrate it for you.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Many people like to use 3/8" copper tubing, but mine is 1/4" and it works just fine. Less copper, lower cost. I can't think of anything other than metal that has the required thermal conductivity.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply