Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap sparge arm without raised HLT or pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
knowltonm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap sparge arm without raised HLT or pump

I have a dilemma. I'm buying my 10 gal beverage cooler to convert to a mash tun tomorrow, and I have me entire design for the false bottom and that, but I'm wondering if I can make a sparge arm that will have a small reservoir that I can refill instead of using a raised HLT (because I have very few resources in my current environment...a year ago would have been a different story), and I don't want to hook up a pump. So far, I'm thinking a piece of wood across the top of the cooler with a flower pot sitting on top...a tube coming down from the hole in the bottom to a sparge arm inside the cooler. I just don't know the best way to regulate how quickly it will empty, I don't want it to drain straight out and splash all around too much...would using 1/4 inch pipe down to a 1/2 inch arm slow down the release enough so it won't disturb things? Or should I use tubing that I can clamp down on? Thanks in advance...if I can't figure it out I'll stick to tin foil with holes in it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Two words... Batch Sparge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Another alternative would be to get a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil pierce it full of holes and just pour your sparge water on top of the aluminum foil works great! It beats the heck out of the sparge arm I built.

I use a combination of batch sparge and fly sparge. I feel that combining the 2 works better than either of the methods used separately.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Another alternative would be to get a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil pierce it full of holes and just pour your sparge water on top of the aluminum foil works great! It beats the heck out of the sparge arm I built.
Cheapest sparge arm:

+

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Quick Reply