Cheap source of silicon for gaskets, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Someone posted awhile back about a local source for silicon gaskets in hopes of avoiding costly shipping for an inexpensive item. Enter the local dollar store. I stopped by one to pick up a spatula to make a couple of gaskets from, and lo and behold, they had silicon baking molds, roughly 5 in. diameter for, you guessed it, a dollar!! I will have enough for my kettle, MLT, and HLT. Keep your eyes open!!

I had replied to that thread to suggest a cheap silicon spatula, and someone else opined about the silicon baking pans. I never thought I would see the smaller ones at a dollar store. They are nice and thick. The one I bought is star-shaped, and over an inch tall. I'm sure I could cut a dozen gaskets from it. Package said it is good to 380* or so.

I had replied to that thread to suggest a cheap silicon spatula, and someone else opined about the silicon baking pans.

That was me. I bought one to use and then didn't need it. Still some silcone is good up to 500 deg and a quick solution if you can't find a gasket.

Latest posts

Back