Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap nano Pumps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
McGolden_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap nano Pumps?

yeah.... so... I am a poor college engineering student, and I have been slowly but surely designing, buying and building a 1bbl system so my friends and I can have far too much tasty brew in the house. I have almost everything except a pump at this point. I thought pumps would be simple. I was wrong. It was $800 from more beer for one of those nano march pumps, and I need two. SO I did what any engineer would, and looked to steal the cheapest option available elsewhere. While it would be possible to design and fabricate my own pump, I would much rather find a cheap alternative. So, I found this, and I was wondering if anyone might spot any glaring issues that I might have overlooked.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/grundfos-...-pump-59896781

Seems cheaper, and within the specs I need. Let the comments ensue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGolden_Brew View Post
yeah.... so... I am a poor college engineering student, and I have been slowly but surely designing, buying and building a 1bbl system so my friends and I can have far too much tasty brew in the house. I have almost everything except a pump at this point. I thought pumps would be simple. I was wrong. It was $800 from more beer for one of those nano march pumps, and I need two. SO I did what any engineer would, and looked to steal the cheapest option available elsewhere. While it would be possible to design and fabricate my own pump, I would much rather find a cheap alternative. So, I found this, and I was wondering if anyone might spot any glaring issues that I might have overlooked.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/grundfos-...-pump-59896781

Seems cheaper, and within the specs I need. Let the comments ensue.
You must mean besides the cost.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

yeah, not sure what you aren't looking at the tried/true March Pumps, LGs, etc.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Or Chugger Pumps. I couldnt be happier with my Chugger. Dont bother with what youre looking at, Chugger, March, LG is what you want. No reason for you to buy an $800 pump.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

He is comparing it to this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/120...Stainless_110V
And this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/120...Stainless_230V

Which in that case this pump is far cheaper.
But the real question is what in your setup needs a 17GPM flow vs a 7GPM or a 27ft head vs an 18ft head? I'm not sure if you really need the high end nano pumps for only 1 barrel.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
McGolden_Brew
Recipes 

Well max flow out is 7GPM right? so at 0' of head I get 7GPM. However I am using 55gallon SS drums which are about 3' tall plus the pumps location below the barrels and a grant tank ads a maximum of about 4' or 5'. Because the thrust curves for these motors are mostly linearly related to head distance then at 18' = 0 GPM so slope: m=-7GPM/18'=-0.38888 y=mx+b x=4' or x=5' for my setup b=7GPM so @ 4' head = 5.44GPM @ 5' head = 5.05GPM That means that it would take 11min to fully circulate the wort in the MLT through the HERMS and transfer it over to the BT. Is that an acceptable amount of time?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I brew 30-35 gallon batches and use a March 809/815. I use a HERMS to maintain mash temps. In my system, flow is limited by the grain bed and not the pump. During mash, I get 1-2 gal/min flow. I guess my fear is that you spend big bucks for a pump and you will have to throttle it back to several gallons per minute anyway.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That pump doesnt look to be certified for food applications... it does not have a magnetic coupling. therefore you could be mixing lubricants and contaiminents in with your wort

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 86

The one time I brewed at a 1bbl capacity (37 gallons, to be exact), we used my buddy's little giant pumps. Not nano-scale pumps. Just the same scale pumps everyone else is using for 5/10/15 gallon batches, and we were brewing in 55gallon Blichman kettles, and pumped the wort across his garage into his 47 gallon conical, no problem. Never had a problem with insufficient power on the pumps. I can't honestly think of a point in the brew day when we would have wanted to pump any fluids any faster or any higher/farther than we did. As it was, we we were still restricting the pump flow significantly for sparging and less significantly when running through his plate chiller.

Save yourself some dough and keep to the smaller pumps, unless you plan to expand beyond 1bbl capacity.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
McGolden_Brew
Recipes 

Excellent advice... I think I am going to go with the chugger. Thank you everyone!

Quick Reply