Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > cheap line-voltage thermostat from homedepot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default cheap line-voltage thermostat from homedepot

the operating range is 50°F to 100°F, which is narrower than the thermostats you can get from your LHBS for $50. But at a price of only $27 it seems like a pretty good deal for a line-voltage thermostat if you are looking for one to control your fridge or whatever.

I can't get a link to work, but seach homedepot.com for "ductstat".

-walker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

50F-100F will not be sufficient for breweing lagers since you may have to hold the amboient temp at 47 to hold the fermentation temp at 50F.

But for some line voltage thermostats the temp can be offset to match the desired temperature range. The like voltage thermostat that I have has a small screw which which I can shift the themperature range.

Kai

Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kai
50F-100F will not be sufficient for breweing lagers since you may have to hold the amboient temp at 47 to hold the fermentation temp at 50F.

But for some line voltage thermostats the temp can be offset to match the desired temperature range. The like voltage thermostat that I have has a small screw which which I can shift the themperature range.

Kai
agreed.. it's not perfect... but if you only brew ales (which I'm guessing most people here do), this would be perfect and costs $15 to $20 less than the alternatives from the brew shops.

-walker

Old 03-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

i feel like an idiot, but i don't get it.... you plug your fridge into this and plug this into the wall... then you set your desired temperature -- say 60®F... without a probe reaching into the fridge to measure that temperature, how does it know when to cut power? it seems like the probe for this is internal/attached to the unit, making it good for controlling the fan that it's designed for -- because the fan would affect the ambient temp.
please set me straight if i'm not making sense...

Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
i feel like an idiot, but i don't get it.... you plug your fridge into this and plug this into the wall... then you set your desired temperature -- say 60®F... without a probe reaching into the fridge to measure that temperature, how does it know when to cut power? it seems like the probe for this is internal/attached to the unit, making it good for controlling the fan that it's designed for -- because the fan would affect the ambient temp.
please set me straight if i'm not making sense...
it's not clear from the description if the thermal sensor is housed within the box, but... even it it IS, you can put the whole damn thing into the fridge and run yoru power cords into the fridge to plug into it.

-walker

Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
it's not clear from the description if the thermal sensor is housed within the box, but... even it it IS, you can put the whole damn thing into the fridge and run yoru power cords into the fridge to plug into it.

-walker
yeah, i had considered that....
there's no conspicuous external probe in the picture, so i just assumed there wasn't one...
also, i don't know how well 2 running cords out of the fridge will work...

Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
yeah, i had considered that....
there's no conspicuous external probe in the picture, so i just assumed there wasn't one...
yeah, I assume there isn't one either, but you never know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
also, i don't know how well 2 running cords out of the fridge will work...
Should work fine. I've curently got one power cord and one temp probe running out of the door of mine and it seems fine. The flexible, magnetic seal on the fridge door forms around them pretty well.

-walker

Old 03-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker

-walker
running the power cord into the fridge will create a bad seal on the doors. This and the limited temperature range may not be worth the $20-$15 savings you get. It's different when you get it for cheaper on E-bay and plan to modify your fride anyway. Then you can install this in your fridge.

Kai

Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
Walker

Recipes 

devil's advocate:

Quote:
running the power cord into the fridge will create a bad seal on the doors.
not on my specific fridge, but I see your point in general.

Quote:
This and the limited temperature range may not be worth the $20-$15 savings you get.
This depends ONLY on what you brew. Yes, it's more limited than the one I have from the LHBS, but... the range imposed by this cheaper device would not get in my way at all. If anything, I could say that the one from the LHBS has TOO wide of a range for my uses. I only need temps between 55 and 72 degrees, so how is a $50 thermostat that goes from 30°F to 100°F better than a $27 thermostat that goes from 50°F to 100°F????

-walker

Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I'm familiar with these. The sensor is inside the housing and most of them are designed for heating applications. I used one in my fermentation box to control a small electric heater, as I've lived in colder areas most of the time. (and I don't lager)

There is a version available that is used to control evaporative coolers that would work with a refrigerator, but I see two problems: the cord problem and cooler thermostats have really huge dead-bands, about 10 degrees. By contrast, my electronic control can be set down to a one degree dead band.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply