The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap & Easy 5 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cheap & Easy 5 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Using the instructions from FlyGuy's http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/
I converted a 5 gallon Igloo cooler into a MLT. Between Lowes and Fastenal I got all of the supplies I needed and I got to work. Upon completion and testing there were no leaks. I tightened everything pretty good, however the entire assembly I put together rotates. Is this normal? Also, I bought an additional 5 gallon cooler for sparge water, but am unsure how to run the hose from the Hot Liquor Tank to the MLT. Any suggestions? Is a 5 gallon cooler too small, after reading the chapter in "How to Brew" I'm beginning to think I should have got 10 gallon coolers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
eschatz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I personally like the 10 gal setup. However, you're gonna do just fine with your 5 gal as long as you dont brew REALLY BIG beers. I use a gravity feed (just a piece of hose) to get my hot water from my HLT to my MLT. Some use a pump. You can do some searching on the forum to learn more about that. I cant do it in my apartment because of space issues. You should start looking at the "3 tier setup". By searching for this you'll find that people have ingenious ways of moving water around and dealing with your very problem.

What's tappening? :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply