New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap Digital Temperature Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
csafley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap Digital Temperature Control

I came accross this Digital Thermostat with built in electrical outlet that would be perfect for temperature control and much cheaper then others I have seen. I am planning on exteneding the wire on the thermostat so that I can run it into my fermentation freezer.

Let me know what you think.

Amazon.com: WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat: Home Improvement

Last edited by csafley; 04-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
dragon99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice find. Looks like it should work fine. I will definitely keep this one in mind next time I need a thermostat.

Homer: “I’m feelin’ low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?”
Apu: “Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it.”
Homer: “Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.”

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

That unit senses the ambient air temp with that little antenna like thing you see sticking up on the top left. You might be able to use it if you mount it inside the freezer, but then you still need to get power to and from it. I don't think there's any way to lengthen the sensor probe which would be the ideal solution. It might not be safe to mount this unit inside the freezer anyway due to the often wet or very damp conditions. All said and done, it would probably be better to go with the standard Johnson analog controller as most do. I prefer the digital models, but they cost a little more. I've also been looking for a cheap way to make a controller. I need a lot of them!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.thermostatshop.com/manuals/win100.pdf

I wish I could find a Canadian distributor. I would like to use it to run a carboy heater in the winter time.

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
drost
Recipes 

I've been using one of those controllers for quite a while now in my refrigerator for fermentation control. Works great!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/temperature-controller-49559/

"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
csafley
Recipes 

Default Digital Temp. Control

I simply cut the the wire that leads to the probe and inserted an additional length of wire so that I can run the probe into my fermentation freezer while still allowing the unit to remain outside and away from the moisture. It works great!!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
chris1979
Recipes 

this is what i use on my chest freezer pretty cheap and works well no wiring just plug it in. not digital but works well.
Portable Thermostat | Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment

Last edited by chris1979; 04-29-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by csafley View Post
I simply cut the the wire that leads to the probe and inserted an additional length of wire so that I can run the probe into my fermentation freezer while still allowing the unit to remain outside and away from the moisture. It works great!!
Interesting! I was told you couldn't easily do this as the probe is actually a short thermocouple device and it's not as simple as just lengthening the wire. I think there are actually two wires involved and they form a junction at the probe. The wire must be of a special type. Ordinary chassis wire won't cut it. Then the unit must be calibrated to adjust for the added resistance. OTOH, this may all be wrong from what you are telling us. This thermostat would be a great low cost alternative to the typical ones we buy. Have you cross checked the freezer temps to see how well it's working?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
csafley
Recipes 

It is currently hooked up to my chest freezer and is showing the same temperature as the dial thermometer inside. I didn't use any special wire and didn't have to calibrate anything and it works just fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

the resistance involved is minimal in short runs. so if you take your thermister take an ohm reading of it without wire and then add a length of wire yourll see a minimal difference which shouldnt cause any temp change. now if this was a huge long run then yes it might be an issue.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Quick Reply