Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap Digital Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
SchizoFilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cheap Digital Scale

I have found a few scales around at different places. Thought I would see who can chime in here with an opinion as to what you've used and would recommend. Mostly going to be used for weighing hops and specialty grains so it doesn't need to hold a lot of weight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used a Taylor that I picked up at Target for ~ $25. It will weigh in oz, lb, and grams up to 13 lbs.

It also has a "tare" function to rezero after putting a vessel on it. nice.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

American Weigh

I picked up a tare-able 11 pound Digital Kitchen scale. Resolution of 0.1 Ounce switchable between Pounds and Grams. $20 Including shipping on a sale. The bowl that comes with it is perfect too.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I use My Weigh 7001DX which works well as long as you have fresh batteries or using an ac adapter. It is always good to have a test weight of known quantities to check your scale, but hops weighing is not life or death mission critical - or is it?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrr81765 View Post
I used a Taylor that I picked up at Target for ~ $25. It will weigh in oz, lb, and grams up to 13 lbs.

It also has a "tare" function to rezero after putting a vessel on it. nice.
I have a slightly different model of Taylor, that was closed out for 15.00 from Target, I think when they were replacing them with this..

Basically if you are doing small measuring and digi kitchen scale under 30 bucks, heck under 20 will do. All of them have (or should have a tare function) to zero out your container...

The biggest thing is that it has both ounces and grams, often I have found that it is easier to measure hops in grams rather than ounces, especially if you are doing any small batch or experimental brewing, where there is only a tiny about of hops and they don't "round off" in the ounce measurement that well....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On the Taylor option from Target: does this have an AC adapter included, and can it use one if it is not included?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
edstirling
Recipes 

I just got an Escali scale from Midwest Supplies.
It was their cheapest digital. Takes 2 AA batteries. Does a good job, tareable, Goes up to 11# (although, I don't have a bowl big enough for 11# of grain), accurate to 1 gram. It has three display settings, pounds and ounces, ounces with 2 decimals (.04 oz resolution), and grams. I buy all my hops by the pound now and it's really awesome when measuring spices 'cause I can buy the big bags at the hispanic store for cheap.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I also saw the Escali Primo recommended in another thread, but also saw that it was battery operated. Does this scale have an AC adapter?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Beerhead
Recipes 

I just got one from here for $.93, shipping was like 16 bucks but it was worth it, it works great.

eBay Store - Just Pounds and Ounces: Digital Postal Scale, Scales, Shipping

Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm a proud owner of a WeightMax W-2822 that's rated to 35 pounds for my grain weighing. Weighs in Kg, g, lb, and oz. Also comes with a battery backup power cube. I paid $13 for it on ebay last year. For hops wanting a smaller more accurace measurements I purchased a ProScale 600 Luxe that has a capacity of 600 grams, accuracy: 0.1g. measures in grams, ounces, grains and penneyweight. I paid $11 for it also on ebay last year. With the wide range of weight measuring no one scale can do it all unless it is was a big dollar lab scale that would be far beyond the average homebrewers budget unless you worked for a lab. This combination works great for me without breaking the bank and is very handy. As I said above, get two scales as they are not expensive and you will be glad when you use them later.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 05-06-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply