The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap compact wort pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #71
ameliabrewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHops
I just bought one of the topsflo eBay pumps for $75 with free shipping. The threads are NPT 1/2 inch stainless steel. I'm still piecing it all together but I will be using a ball valve after the pump to control the flow. The valve costs $12, I'm not sure why I'd spend more or have to make something that will in effect do the same exact thing as a ball valve will. I'm somewhat handy, but sometimes simple is just better.
Keep us informed on this pump, I am waiting on one of the China pumps for a small batch BIAB setup but would like to know how this pump works for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #72
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
This is a quote from an email from the solarprojects.co.uk rep:

So you don't necesarily need a bypass valve to adjust the flow. Restricting the power (by PWM e.g. LED dimmer) or an inline valve will also work.
Excellent info. For me it would be much easier to just restrict flow with the existing ball valves on all of my equipment.

Has anyone used a pump to empty the mash tun? I would love to speed up various parts of my brew day and emptying the tun via gravity takes a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #73
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
Colonel, you're controlling flow with ball valve...does this seem to be a viable option or has anyone installed a dimmer or potentiometer? I'd consider these even if just for transfer as it takes forever to move liquid via gravity.
Yes, the ball valve does a fine job of adjusting the flow. It does work the motor a bit harder when you restrict the flow, but so far I've had no problems.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #74
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I would love to speed up various parts of my brew day and emptying the tun via gravity takes a long time.
Surprised it takes that long to empty using gravity? How much drop do you have to the exit tubing? I am always one to speed things along but never had this issue. Does your tubing from the MT extend all the way down to the wort level in the cooler?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #75
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post

Surprised it takes that long to empty using gravity? How much drop do you have to the exit tubing? I am always one to speed things along but never had this issue. Does your tubing from the MT extend all the way down to the wort level in the cooler?
3 tier setup, not too far down to bk, hose is all the way down in bottom of bk . Liquid seems to stay on top of grain bed and not find ideal path to bottom at times.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #76
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Man the wait is killing me, it has been 3 weeks since I ordered it. They must have put it on a row boat coming from China.

On another note has anybody secured these to their brew stand or some other fixture? I am thinking about using U-bolts to secure them to my stand. Also I think I am going to put a 3 way valve on them to be able to run my Brutus 20 setup.

-G

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #77
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
By the way, it is my understanding that the impeller and other plastic parts are polysulfone same as the March and Chugger pumps.
I just checked with Peter from solarprojects.co.uk and he said:

Quote:
It is a plastic called Fortron as far as I know, which from a quick googling:- Polyphenylene Sulfide (i.e.; Techtron, Ryton, Fortron); seems to be another name for the same thing. It is fully food safe.
Well, I just looked up polysulfone and it is not identical to polyphenylene sulfide so my previous post was incorrect. But it is an equally suitable material.

According to the Wikipedia page, polyphenylene sulfide resists dyeing and is white to light tan in colour. So the black eBay pumps may be made of something else.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #78
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n
Man the wait is killing me, it has been 3 weeks since I ordered it. They must have put it on a row boat coming from China.

On another note has anybody secured these to their brew stand or some other fixture? I am thinking about using U-bolts to secure them to my stand. Also I think I am going to put a 3 way valve on them to be able to run my Brutus 20 setup.

-G
I'm using a quick disconnect from Bobby M. to hook it directly to my brew kettle, then a ball valve hooked directly to the outlet side of the pump with another disconnect on that side. They are so small they really don't need any mounting as long as they are either at the same level or below the valve of the kettle.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #79
tre9er
Recipes 

I'm not pump-literate, so does the ball valve need to be on the OP side to regulate flow or can it be on the IP, or does it matter?

Quote:

Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #80
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
I'm not pump-literate, so does the ball valve need to be on the OP side to regulate flow or can it be on the IP, or does it matter?
Ball valve needs to be on the outlet sife

Quick Reply