New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap compact wort pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #41
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry don't mix home brew and edworts apfelwein. I ment hour did you just order it? I want a pump but at this point in Time can't justify spending 140 dollars on a chugger

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #42
Jmarsh544
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I order it about a week ago but the Chinese New Year has caused a slight shipping delay. Worst case I will use it to pump hot water, but if it turns out food grade like its listed, ill use it to whirlpool and chill. Either way, can't really go wrong for the price.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #43
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Interesting thread:

So I wonder if this little pump would be powerful enough to pump water through 50 feet of half inch copper tubing like in my IC? And then pump water through another 25 feet of 3/8 inch copper tubing for me CFC? I seriously doubt it. I have the IC made, but I am thinking of going with a CFC and using the IC as a pre-chiller. Also I can’t help wonder if a previous poster had thier question answered, about a HERMS system and if it would be strong enough to handle such configurations.

On the other hand thinking about how to provide a solution to this problem (if there really is a problem), what about having two or more of these type of pumps running in parallel. Would the head double as well as the flow rate? To my way of thinking it would, but then I am no engineer. Twice or thrice as many pumps would still be cheaper than a chugger, or even still than a march pump.
Just would like to throw that out there to see what other people think about this idea.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #44
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Interesting thread:

So I wonder if this little pump would be powerful enough to pump water through 50 feet of half inch copper tubing like in my IC? And then pump water through another 25 feet of 3/8 inch copper tubing for me CFC? I seriously doubt it. I have the IC made, but I am thinking of going with a CFC and using the IC as a pre-chiller. Also I can’t help wonder if a previous poster had thier question answered, about a HERMS system and if it would be strong enough to handle such configurations.

On the other hand thinking about how to provide a solution to this problem (if there really is a problem), what about having two or more of these type of pumps running in parallel. Would the head double as well as the flow rate? To my way of thinking it would, but then I am no engineer. Twice or thrice as many pumps would still be cheaper than a chugger, or even still than a march pump.
Just would like to throw that out there to see what other people think about this idea.
Parallel configuration should increase the flow rate (close to double) at the expense of a little more plumbing (these things are so inexpensive that the cost of the fittings will end up being a significant portion of the overall cost).

Can't wait to hear the first performance review on these...

-fafrd

Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #45
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Because these are 12vdc it would be simple to use a voltage regulator to control the speed of the pump. Since they are not magnetic drive I probably wouldn't adjust the flow with a ball valve.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #46
Merzeone
.....DeeeRuuunk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ordered mine should be here soon I plan to run it through its paces. I already have a March 809 I would like to do a comparison (prob not much of one) but at least its a low cost option for some people.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #47
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
Because these are 12vdc it would be simple to use a voltage regulator to control the speed of the pump. Since they are not magnetic drive I probably wouldn't adjust the flow with a ball valve.
Great idea! A simple inline potentiometer like the ones used on the diy stir plates might do the trick.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #48
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merzeone View Post
Ordered mine should be here soon I plan to run it through its paces. I already have a March 809 I would like to do a comparison (prob not much of one) but at least its a low cost option for some people.
I'm sure these two pumps aren't in the same league, but it will be nice to see your comparison so we know how many leagues apart they are.

I would guess that the low pump head spec will be the biggest limiting factor when compared to a March or Chugger for some brewing configurations.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #49
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For most people doing 5 gallon batches and want a pump to recirculate and transfer this looks like a cost effective solution.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #50
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
Great idea! A simple inline potentiometer like the ones used on the diy stir plates might do the trick.
Search on eBay for "12V 8A LED dimmer". You'll need a 12 VDC power supply as well.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Quick Reply