Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap compact wort pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #431
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I think so, and if I am, that's not a bad success rate I guess. My thinking at this point is that possibly hop matter or something got stuck in the impeller while I was pumping through CFC, with music on and fan running, etc. and these pumps are quiet.

It still seems unlikely though because I recirc'd and had been pumping (getting close to verify pump operation) for 20 minutes at that point, so it's hard to imagine a hard chunk of hop pellet still existed...but at one point it seemed like I couldn't get flow through the pump with gravity, after it stopped, so I back-flushed it, then it would flow (not run, but liquid would flow through it using gravity).

So either it seized on it's own momentarily and burned itself up, or debris clogged the impeller. That's the down-side to low-powered pumps. If you do get something minor in there, it doesn't have the power to bust it up and keep going. These are my thoughts, anyway.
I don't have a 12Vdc pump, just a 230Vac Iwaki knockoff. But I have notice that when I do take mine appart for a good clean there is grain/hop matter lodged around the impellor magnet. Have you taken the pump apart to see what is stuck in there. Also since they are centrifugal pumps they will still allow fluid to flow through them even with a stuck impellor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #432
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_loco View Post
revans- Looks like you have the Solar Pump, how many batches and how are you powering it?
Yep, bought the 8LPM/ 3meter head model. Have completed 2 test runs at temps and 1 full brew-day batch with it so far.
Powering it with the 12V 2.0A power supply from Amazon. Works BUT it comes with a very short cable (45" long)

Hope this helps,
Robert
GypsyBrew

Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #433
ClemsonDV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did they run out of the tan model. Is the black China model the same thing?

Up Next: Centennial Blonde

Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #434
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I don't have a 12Vdc pump, just a 230Vac Iwaki knockoff. But I have notice that when I do take mine appart for a good clean there is grain/hop matter lodged around the impellor magnet. Have you taken the pump apart to see what is stuck in there. Also since they are centrifugal pumps they will still allow fluid to flow through them even with a stuck impellor.
At first no liquid flowed through it in the normal direction. I backflushed and then it would run both directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #435
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by revansCAAD8 View Post
Yep, bought the 8LPM/ 3meter head model. Have completed 2 test runs at temps and 1 full brew-day batch with it so far.
Powering it with the 12V 2.0A power supply from Amazon. Works BUT it comes with a very short cable (45" long)

Hope this helps,
Robert
GypsyBrew
Thanks for the link I just bought one. I figure with gas money to goodWill it can't get much cheaper

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #436
sennister
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonDV View Post
Did they run out of the tan model. Is the black China model the same thing?
From what I have seen both are available. The specs are a little different between the two. They are two different pumps but you can get either one from what I have seen.

Primary:
Secondary: River Bend Wheat
Kegerator Tap 1: American IPA
Kegerator Tap 2: Red Lager
Kegerator Tap 3: Oatmeal Stout
Kegerator Tap 4: Charged H2O

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #437
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default disaster strikes

I decided I was going to rewire my black pump to use with the computer PSU I had laying around. I wanted to add more length to the harness coming out of the pump. I set it on my chair and walked to my tool box to grab some electrical tape and i heard a thud. Turned around and saw my pump sitting on the ground with the camlock fitting not attached anymore. I just went to the brewstore and bought a chugger. I need to brew today and dont have time to waste waiting for a new pump to come in 2 weeks. Anyhow. This little pump worked great for at least 4 brews. If anybody needs the motor, send me a PM and Ill send it to them for shipping.

My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #438
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I snapped the input tube off my little tan pump before I even had chance to brew with it. I put the two pieces back together and then JB welded the outside with a few layers of epoxy over a few days. Still works great.

The break was very clean. The epoxy is no the outside, NOT inside in contact with wort. The unit gets cleaned after use by circulating PBW through for 10 minutes or so hen StarSan for a similar time.

No problems.

I'm at zip code 95648. Would love o gave your black pump if you still want to part with it and gave all the pieces!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #439
ulsh72
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FINALLY got to brew with my pump over the weekend after FINALLY building my dual 120v ebiab kettle.
It worked like a champ! No problems with the pump itself, just some minor hiccups in developing a new brew process on a new rig. In fact, at a few points I had the pump running with the my valve closed(valve mounted before the pump) and it didn't seem to hurt anything thankfully!

All in all, I am incredibly happy with it and find it a good cheap alternative to a chugger, at least for my needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsh72 View Post
I received my tan ebay pump yesterday. Small is an understatement. I just can't get over how tiny this thing is. I was also surprised by the material its made out of. I was expecting a regular plastic that is cheap and semi-soft feeling, like most of the goods coming from china, but the material this pump is made out of is very hard, and almost feels ceramic. It feels tough as nails, but maybe a bit brittle (again, the best I can describe is it feels like ceramic). I had doubts about connecting this in line on my ball valve on the kettle, but now I feel a little better about it.
Bottled and Drank - Skeeter Pee, Cherry Wheat (PM kit), Cherry Skeeter Pee, Cream of 3 Crops (x2), Deception Cream Stout, Citra SMaSH APA, Graff (infected), Lime Citra Wheat

Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #440
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Anyone know where to source the tan ebay pumps? The original seller is sold out.

Quick Reply