Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cheap compact wort pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #21
f0xtr0t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok I see that you would have to prime the lines first. I wonder how hard are the fittings to get. I went ahead and picked one up. I'll try it out and report back.

Founding Member of B.R.E.W.S. (Border Residents Engineering Wicked Suds)
I'm a beekeeper. Save the bees, Save the world.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

CUrchin Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #22
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I finally got a chance to do a dry run (er, is it a wet run?).

I was thoroughly impressed and I think it's going to do everything I need it to do. Check out my video below.

Note that I just shoved my 1/2 silicone hose over my 1/2 MPT/BSP connections for the purpose of this test. They leaked a little bit and I will be putting quick disconnects on all of these connections before I actually brew with this setup.

http://youtu.be/pb52LeblmEs

Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #23
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0xtr0t View Post
I want some intel about this pump too. Would throttling the output/input negatively affect the pump? And are those fittings hard to find? Would you have to gravity feed the lines for it to work?
The pump seems to do fine when throttled back. You can hear it running faster the more you restrict the flow, so we should probably do a long term throttled test to make sure it doesn't eventually burn up.

As far as the fittings, just put 5 or 6 rounds of teflon tape around the fittings and they will fit securely into standard 1/2" NPT connections. I didn't have any leaks even at near boiling temperatures on the 1/2" BSP male (pump) to 1/2" NPT female (ball valve) connection.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #24
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This certainly has my interest. I want to do a Recirculating E-BIAB setup, but one of the primary things holding me back was shelling out $100+ for a useable pump. This, I think, will do nicely.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
I finally got a chance to do a dry run (er, is it a wet run?).

I was thoroughly impressed and I think it's going to do everything I need it to do. Check out my video below.

Note that I just shoved my 1/2 silicone hose over my 1/2 MPT/BSP connections for the purpose of this test. They leaked a little bit and I will be putting quick disconnects on all of these connections before I actually brew with this setup.

http://youtu.be/pb52LeblmEs
Thank you for the update and video!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes thanks for the update. It seemed to do fine pushing through that plate chiller and back up into the kettle. I wonder how it would do through 50' of HEX coil in a HERMS setup for recirculation? If it can handle that it is indeed an impressive little pump.

How are you planning on powering it for normal usage or are you just going to use the battery?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF
How are you planning on powering it for normal usage or are you just going to use the battery?
I have an SLA battery charger, so I will probably keep using the battery. If it doesn't last long enough to go through a brew day, then I will dig through my stash of old power adapters and find one that outputs 12v DC at 0.8A (or more).

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just thinking about this, random thoughts rolling around in my head. I could see this
http://www.amazon.com/Distributed-Po...wer+supply+12v

with switches wired in for multiple pumps in a system or if you were going automated SSRs wired in and triggered from your controller.

5 channels at 5amp total for ~$35 any one channel at 1.65amp.

Makes it interesting with a 3 pump 3 vessel eHERMS system with the pumps right on the outputs of the kettles.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #29
ColonelPanic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF
Just thinking about this, random thoughts rolling around in my head. I could see this
http://www.amazon.com/Distributed-Po...wer+supply+12v

with switches wired in for multiple pumps in a system or if you were going automated SSRs wired in and triggered from your controller.

5 channels at 5amp total for ~$35 any one channel at 1.65amp.

Makes it interesting with a 3 pump 3 vessel eHERMS system with the pumps right on the outputs of the kettles.
That definitely has potential. I've been considering building a temperature controlled gas burner with a 12V valve and pilot light to go along with my 12V pump. That box would be a good fit for that as well.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

These pumps, or ones that look very similar, are available from http://solarproject.co.uk/ and are in fairly general use by UK homebrewers where they are known as "solar pumps". I have the SP20/20 version myself which may be slightly more powerful than the ebay model (it is rated at 14 W). I have yet to put it into use. The output threads are male 1/2" BSP but 1/2" NPT fittings work perfectly well.

Here's another video:

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Quick Reply