Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Charlie Talley (Five-Star Chemicals) Notes from Brewcasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #61
TheCrackpot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Buy some RO water and use that. You don't want to use distilled because it can also make the product work differently IIRC. RO has a minute enough volume of minerals to buffer the water so you get what the product says you get. I'd buy a 5 gallon water bottle and just go refill it when needed. You don't need much star-san since it foams, and you can always use that until it is used up.
What is the problem with using distilled water? I've never heard this before. I thought the less mineral in the water the more effective and stable the Star San is.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure what "IIRC" stands for so that might be the source of my confusion.

Primary: Cherry Cyser
Kegged: Mosaic Amarillo IPA
Bottled: Galaxy Burst IPA, Pliny the Elder, Enjoy By Clone 2, Simcoe Double Sunshine, Mole Stout, HopSlam!, Floodwater Stout 1, Floodwater Stout 2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #62
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackpot View Post
What is the problem with using distilled water? I've never heard this before. I thought the less mineral in the water the more effective and stable the Star San is.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure what "IIRC" stands for so that might be the source of my confusion.

If I Recall Correctly

Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #63
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackpot View Post
It is claimed that Star San will last for a very long time, practically forever in distilled water, so using distilled water should be fine. I have read that some people experience less foaming when using Star San and distilled water which may be an issue. The foam allows star san to more effectively penetrate an area. I have not used Star San with distilled water myself, so I cannot comment.

Personally, I just use my tap water, or RO water. Even if my tap water solution becomes cloudy, the prouct is still effective for me.

Quick Reply