New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Charlie Talley (Five-Star Chemicals) Notes from Brewcasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #51
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

So what if a diluted solution of StarSan with a pH higher than 3.5 was used in the water of a yeast starter? I add nutrients when I make a starter and they are not exactly pricey but cost more than a few liters of diluted StarSan.

Any merit in trying this out or is the gain minimal compared to inexpensive powdered nutrients readily available?
People in threads have wondered the same thing, but noone's tried it. I've even wondered about using it in a boil with extract batches.

The only way to know is to conduct a controlled experiment. Doesn't seem like it would take too much, just a ph meter and some dme.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #52
Dan

Recipes 

Liked 1681 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

So Revvy, let's just say I tried an experiment with a starter. The control would be a starter made using same water, yeast and powdered nutrient as I normally use. The variable >3.5 pH StarSan water and no powdered nutrient but everything else being the same. What do you think, or anybody else who wants to chime in, be the determining factor on which method is most effective? What would be the measure?

Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #53
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
So Revvy, let's just say I tried an experiment with a starter. The control would be a starter made using same water, yeast and powdered nutrient as I normally use. The variable >3.5 pH StarSan water and no powdered nutrient but everything else being the same. What do you think, or anybody else who wants to chime in, be the determining factor on which method is most effective? What would be the measure?
I would consider a starter with no powdered nutrient or starsan as the control. Then a starter with powdered nutrient only. Then a starter with starsan only. That way you can also see how the starsan does compared to the powdered nutrient.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #54
Dan

Recipes 

That's a great idea Ryush! Any idea what would be measured to determine which method most effective?

Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #55
Ryush806

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
That's a great idea Ryush! Any idea what would be measured to determine which method most effective?
Hmmm...

Volume of slurry produced might be a decent measure. Or maybe time to obvious fermentation activity in the main wort?

I'd think that attenuation of the final beer would be a good measure too but there would be a lot of variables in the way between the starter and the finished beer.

You could also do subjective measures like tasting panels or just your own experience with the whole process but they wouldn't be as scientific.

- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #56
Dan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Hmmm...

Volume of slurry produced might be a decent measure. Or maybe time to obvious fermentation activity in the main wort?

I'd think that attenuation of the final beer would be a good measure too but there would be a lot of variables in the way between the starter and the finished beer.
I think these are all good measures. This sounds like something that could occupy my mind for a while. Thank you!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #57
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I imagine the pH of 3.5 is not a sharp cut-off for sanitizing – it probably includes a safety factor. There is likely a pH range slightly above 3.5 that still wouldn’t work as a yeast nutrient. Might be worth trying at least a couple of different pH solutions of Star San. Just speculation.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #58
Ryush806

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer
I imagine the pH of 3.5 is not a sharp cut-off for sanitizing – it probably includes a safety factor. There is likely a pH range slightly above 3.5 that still wouldn’t work as a yeast nutrient. Might be worth trying at least a couple of different pH solutions of Star San. Just speculation.
Yeah that might be a good point. I was thinking 3.5 sounded a little low. Isn't most beer around 4.0-4.5? That might be a better pH if you don't want to do several different pHs.

- Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #59
Curtis2010

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
On a related note, has anyone had an issue with rinsing copper brazed plate chillers with StarSan? Won't it just disolve the copper and separate the plates?
I use it to sanitize my Duda diesel plate chiller before use, but I do flush it with clean rinse water. No problems so far. I don't believe that relatively short exposure time is an issue (long enough to sanitize, but don't leave for an extended time).

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #60
Curtis2010

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And another great reason to use Star San...a yeast powered bubble machine!

Quick Reply