HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Charlie Talley (Five-Star Chemicals) Notes from Brewcasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #31
JoePerri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That is a very good question! I use 1.5oz per gallon. You go through it FAST at that rate. If I can get just as good performance with 2oz in five gallons I'll be happy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #32
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thought I'd mention that the newest episode of Brew Strong is available: The Brewing Network.com - :

They interview Jon Herskovits of Five Star Chemicals on the topic of Sanitization and discuss the use of Star San, Iodophor, Bleach and other ways to sanitize. A couple weeks prior you can get their interview with him on the subject of cleaning.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #33
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craprocker View Post
The directions on the PBW say 1-2 oz per gallon. So is 1 oz per 5 galls good enough?
I second this question. Anybody remember what they said on Brewstrong?

Also, if you're going from a PBW scrubdown straight to the Star San rinse is there any reaction? Or, does the PBW negate the Star San...PBW being an alkali (basic) cleaner, and Star San being an acid sanitizer??

Old 02-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #34
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why would you not want to rinse the PBW before your Star-San wendelgee2?

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #35
berwick12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

F***ing hell. I wish I read this sticky before I used PBW yesterday on my non stick bread pan and skillet. My dumb ass roommate doesn't believe in using coking oil, of any sort. Let the skillet soak and bread pan, the pans sucked anyways, but the PBW lifted about a 1/4 of the non stick coating in the bread pan. LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #36
JoePerri
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craprocker View Post
The directions on the PBW say 1-2 oz per gallon. So is 1 oz per 5 galls good enough?
I was very curious about this as well so I emailed Five Star and asked them. This is the response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Star Chemicals
PBW is effective at dilutions ranging from 0.6 oz (by weight) per gallon, which is 2-oz per 5 gallons, up to 2 oz per gallons for heavy soil loads. For great water profiles and low soil loads dilutions of only 1 oz per 5 gallons will still outperform water alone but that seems a bit weak a solution for most applications, even for the home brewer.
So I think I will use about 2-3 oz. per 5 gallons.

Joe

Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #37
craprocker

Recipes 

Do all you weigh your pbw or just use a table spoon measurement like I do? So am I correct with 1/2 oz = 1 tbsp?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use the tablespoon measure or a shot glass marked with 1-1.5-2 oz marks. Yes, 1 tbsp = .5 US fluid ounces.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #39
SupraSPL
Recipes 

Resurrecting here but I think it was Jon who said when it comes to PBW, consider the four factors CTTA Concentration, Time, Temperature, Agitation. He said it rinses easily and works well enough in cold water. I am always trying to save energy so I go low on the temperature and concentration part but go long on the time and agitation part. Great product.

Fermenting:

Bottled:
Wheat DME/Munich LME/Franco Belges Kiln Coffee /Hallertau/Hersbrucker/ 3655 Schelde
Wheat DME/Munich LME/Franco Belges Kiln Coffee/Hallertau/Hersbrucker/ 3068 Weihenstephan

Long Gone:
Wheat DME/Simpson's Coffee/Hallertau/Saaz/3655 Schelde
Wheat DME/Franco Belges Choc/Hallertau/Saaz/3638 Bavarian
Wheat DME/NZ Org Hallertau/3522 Ardennes
Wheat DME/Caramunich/Black Patent/Saaz/3655 Schelde
Wheat LME/Hallertau/3638 Bavarian
Wheat LME/Hallertau/3942 Belgian Wheat

Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #40
starsailor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
But there's no point keeping it when mixed with tap water, the minerals and chlorine will rise the pH and it will be useless. If you plan to store, you need to only mix with demineralised or RO water.
I keep a plastic trigger pack on hand with a starsan/demineralised mix to spray everything I come in contact with on brew and bottling days. I also take it to work and spray any air conditioners that have built up odours due to bacteria breeding in evaporators.
I know it been a while since this was posted, but I'm reading this whole thread through for the first time. Then, it occured to me several posts later that spraying StarSan on AC evaporators might not be a good idea. Almost all newer ones are aluminum and some old ones are copper. Isn't that a no-no unless it's rinsed off after a few minutes? Won't the acids just eat up the thin aluminum or copper?

On a related note, has anyone had an issue with rinsing copper brazed plate chillers with StarSan? Won't it just disolve the copper and separate the plates?

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Quick Reply