Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Cereal Killer" grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #81
tator2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I believe they discontinued the shipment of the CK as part of their pre-order. Due to many complaints from customers regarding roller alignment. I called and as was offered an upgrade to the Barley Crusher for $20.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #82
t3e871
Recipes 

I screwed around with the CK grain mill for an hour tonight. Like I said earlier, I haven't used it yet, but I think I have it tuned up to put a decent crush on the grains.

There are some issues with the rollers being coplanar for sure. There's no way I could get a consistent gap across the width of the rollers, no matter how much I adjusted. The biggest issue occurs when you get the eccentric thumb screws holding the passive roller in the location you need; when you tighten in place, the screws push on the eccentric thumb screws and close the gap on the rollers.

My solution was to adjust eccentric thumb screws with a .065m feeler gauge stuck between the rollers, one side at a time, and once I tightened the screws to hold the roller in place, the gap closed to about .035. Repeat on the other side and your as good as you will get.

I also added another 0-ring to the passive roller (it shipped with one), to provide drive friction to the passive roller.

After a LOT of tinkering with the rollers and the chute (retaining screws) I think I finally I got the mill solid and in working order. I think it will do a decent job with a drill attached, but like others said I don't think the handle will work at all.

I would not consider mine "adjustable" any longer, after mucking with feeler gauges, and pliers I finally was able to torque the adjustment screws and lock the roller in place (I hope) and I do not want to have to repeat this any time soon!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #83
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I saw that the Cereal Killer is on sale again for $89 with free shipping. Any updates on the quality of this mill?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #84
t3e871
Recipes 

I have used it for 5 batches now and it's a decent performer. I can't compare to anything else because this is my first and only grain mill. First thing is the rubber O-rings they installed on the drive roller (to provide friction and drive the second roller) disintegrated after 2 uses. I found the rubber o-rings mutilated in my mash tun. It still works fine but you have to make sure your drill is going in the proper direction to pull the grain through and drive the second roller. I'm not sure how other mills work in this regard. Second my efficiency has increased almost 20% from crushing my own grain. This thing can turn grain into flour and I get dough-balls in the mash tun now. I never had a problem with dough balls using the home brew-store crushed grain - but I consider this a good problem.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #85
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3e871
I have used it for 5 batches now and it's a decent performer. I can't compare to anything else because this is my first and only grain mill. First thing is the rubber O-rings they installed on the drive roller (to provide friction and drive the second roller) disintegrated after 2 uses. I found the rubber o-rings mutilated in my mash tun. It still works fine but you have to make sure your drill is going in the proper direction to pull the grain through and drive the second roller. I'm not sure how other mills work in this regard. Second my efficiency has increased almost 20% from crushing my own grain. This thing can turn grain into flour and I get dough-balls in the mash tun now. I never had a problem with dough balls using the home brew-store crushed grain - but I consider this a good problem.
Supposedly they've fixed some of these problems... I've been holding out for a monster mill but just haven't been able to justify the $250 for the one I want yet. I'm really considering getting this and getting a year or two out of it before passing it down to someone.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #86
LibertyHillBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Well I ordered one of the "new improved" Cereal Killer grain mills a couple weeks ago, Guess they started Shipping yesterday,7/9/12 not sure where I'm at on the order list, Looking forward to trying it out,

Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #87
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHillBrewery View Post
Well I ordered one of the "new improved" Cereal Killer grain mills a couple weeks ago, Guess they started Shipping yesterday,7/9/12 not sure where I'm at on the order list, Looking forward to trying it out,
I went for one also, will be moving from my corona mill in a bucket. Mine will be here friday. forgot to pull the trigger, had it in my cart for 89, ended up paying 99.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #88
LibertyHillBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfanmike View Post
I went for one also, will be moving from my corona mill in a bucket. Mine will be here friday. forgot to pull the trigger, had it in my cart for 89, ended up paying 99.
I did the same thing, but was only $10 more, so not too bad.. mine will be here on the 16th!!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #89
hi_octane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

LibertyHillBrewery, bucfanmike... How's the latest version of the CK performing? Can you also let the forum know if the following chief criticisms have been corrected:

- Crank handle is too short.
- Play or slop in the bushings.
- Hopper attachment is weak.
- Out of round and/or non-centered rollers.

Thanks!
H.O.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #90
LibertyHillBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

- Crank handle is too short. -I didn't order one because i knew i'd be using a drill

- Play or slop in the bushings. - they changed from bushings to stainless steel bearings and roll real easily and feel tight

- Hopper attachment is weak. - the hopper is rivited aluminum and held on by a two bolts. its not indestructible by any means,but i have no problems picking the whole unit up by it without worry..

- Out of round and/or non-centered rollers. - I was checking for that with feeler gauges while setting the gap and it was barely measurable..Barely! i couldn't see it by eye. i"m sure a bigger diameter roller would be an advantage too, but it gave me a good crush and up to 83% eff. on my last brew..

definitely a lot more of a mill than i thought i'd get for $99! (now $89 again) ..now to see what the life span will be..but for brewing once or twice a week, it should be fine for me. Cheers!

a link to a couple pics....http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/just...n-mill-341900/

Quick Reply