The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Cereal Killer" grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
potaetoSON
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cereal Killer review

My buddy just got 1 of these this week. yesterday, we crushed 13lbs of grain with hand crank. the hand crank is a bit of pain as the grain makes much hard to turn. the bucket will rock and move which makes it harder too.

it took both of us to hold the bucket stable.. but once we figured that out it went pretty quick. probably about 20 minutes once we got it going.

it would be much easier with a drill but, we need a drill bit which has hole for a screw to tighten to the shaft that turns the roller...

all in all.. it worked. got a nice crush ( better then LHBS).....
good quality... good product.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
MPAULSEN300
Recipes 

Finally got a chance to use the Cereal Killer today. Ground about 23 lbs of grain using a 3/8" drill. It did a great job!!. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone at this time.

One small issue that popped up was when a grain got stuck between the passive roller and the metal hopper. It kept the passive roller from turning and the whole operation shuts down. But all I did was reach up from the bottom to spin the passive roller by hand in order to free up the grain and and all was well. I suspect this has happened from time to time with any grain mill that uses on drive roller and one passive roller. ****Please always disconnect the drill from the grain mill before ever touching the rollers with you fingers. It would sure ruin anyone's piano playing life in an instant if the drill was engaged****

The hand crank is short and makes for a long days work if you are alone. But I never needed it because I use a drill. I suppose it was be very easy to get a piece of metal stock and create a longer handle. Seems simple enough. Time to drain the mash tun. Brewing my first RIS today.

PS - to all you veteran' out there. God bless you for your courage and sacrifice on behalf of our sorry butts. You have shown us great love by putting yourselves in harms way so please accept my gratitude and love in return.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #23
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just ordered one of these. Hope it works well. I'll try to post after crushing some grain in a couple of weeks.

Do you think a cordless drill would work for this? I have a 1/2" drive 18V model. I'm hoping it has enough torque to get the job done. I will usually crush 9-15 lbs at a time, as I only do 5 gallon batches.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #24
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes
I just ordered one of these. Hope it works well. I'll try to post after crushing some grain in a couple of weeks.

Do you think a cordless drill would work for this? I have a 1/2" drive 18V model. I'm hoping it has enough torque to get the job done. I will usually crush 9-15 lbs at a time, as I only do 5 gallon batches.
I don't have this grain mill...I have a barley crusher...but my 18v cordless would not even turn it. I bought a corded drill at Menards for $14. It tends to want to go from dead still to really high rpms, but with a little effort it works pretty well.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
solbes
Recipes 

Oh well, good to know. Thanks! I think I can pick up a corded model from someone I know.

Secondary #1
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine

Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 798 Posts

fwiw, before I motorized my BC I used an 18V DeWalt XRP cordless to run it, and I have seen others use the same drill with their BC mills...

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
step
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Ordered one of these this morning Pretty stoked to have a mill so I can just brew on a whim as I always have ingredients on hand. Snagged a 1 hp motor from some demo work I did a couple months ago so looks like next brewing project is to build a milling station

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #28
solbes
Recipes 

Just a quick update on how quick they are. They shipped same day as the order, and it will arrive 2 business days later. Should arrive on Monday!

Secondary #1
Bottles

Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
MoPhunk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Cranking by hand sucks and is not recommended. We only had a cordless drill and it kept slipping. After crushing potaetoson's grain I went home and got my corded drill out and clamped the mill to the bucket. Drill in one hand beer in the other. We double brewed and both hit our Target og.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
MPAULSEN300
Recipes 

I used a cheap 18V cordless with 3/8" drive from harbor freight. It never hesistated for a second. I let me 8 year old grind about 11 lbs. (with very close supervision). It is a good idea to have your hand on the base when you first start the drill but after that it really did not require me to hold it (the base).

Quick Reply