HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cardinal sin: a dirty racking tube !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #1
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Cardinal sin: a dirty racking tube !

I did the cardinal sin tonight. I racked 2 wines. When I was done I was washing the second racking tube and I noticed a 4 inch dirty section just below the bend in the cane. I racked 2 wines through that dirty racking tube. Luckily, hopefully, they were done fermenting.

I don't know how it happened. I rinse everything when I am done using it and then I wash it.

I have said racking cane now soaking with B Brite. I am not sure how to get it 100% clean again.

I could never use non see through equipment. I have to be able to see where the dirt and nasties hang out.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you ?

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hasn't happend to me, and hopefully won't. Deep breath, hold....it'll be okay...it'll be okay....

Can you try the vaccuum trick and string with a tiny ball of say cotton or something? Vaccuum the string through (prolly need to make a temporary nozzle modification) and then use the string to pull through oh I dunno pipe cleaners or something. Just a brainstorm... (although the diameter of the tube might prove tricky)

hope the wine is a-ok!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply