New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Carboys Glass vs Plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
bumstigedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had better bottles cram on the bottom as well with about a year if use. They aren't too expensive and replacing once per year isn't a bad idea anyway in case you have scratched it.

When cleaning, I used to fill them up, soak, and ten empty by picking up and pouring out. What I found is that this stresses the bottle too much and can weaken it. Now I only empty a full better bottle by siphoning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Thats pretty ridiculous since they put the dimple in the bottom. With 5+ gallons of liquid in it, what do they think its gonna do. its gonna move up and down, even with the use of a brew hauler or milk crate. Customer service prob gets sick of getting the complaints.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
MrJames

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmoe View Post
You can do the same thing with a Better Bottle...
True. I just prefer glass. If one were to break, I'd get another.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 596 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum View Post
After speaking to Better Bottle customer support, they do not recommend PBW for prolonged soaks. They say it weakens the plastic and can cause cracking.
That is odd. I've been cleaning mine with hot PBW soaks overnight without any issues. It is certainly possible though, but with how cheap they are relative to glass it's not a big deal to replace them every other year. NorthernBrewer has been having BOGO sales for Better Bottles every six months or so.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Accidic

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've been toying with the idea of having my glass carboys sprayed with Line-X (outside only) with a visibility stripe a couple inches wide down one side. It wouldn't cost that much and would be insurance against accidents or the occasional kid snafu not to mention make it a bit more resistant to accidental breakage due to slight jolts or bumps while moving it around. I've been searching around the forums to see if anyone has ever done something along those lines. I was thinking a modest coat of dark color to allow cracks to be easily visible would be the way to go and with a good solid visible line it would still allow me to see what's going on in there (yes, I'm aware the plastic bottles do this too).

Anyone not familiar with Line-X... it's a spray on plastic/rubber coating most frequently applied to bedliners but you can obliterate a cinder block for example with it coating it and the Cinder block will keep it's form and stay in one piece.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
True. I just prefer glass. If one were to break, I'd get another.
Hopefully if you break one and buy another there is not a trip to the emergency room in between.

For me #1 = way to dangerous and close behind at #2 = way too heavy.

I have been using my first Better Bottle for 2 years now and have gotten another 2. about 36 batches in them so the first one probably has done at least a dozen brews. I expect these three will last many more years. Maybe even outlast me.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
That is odd. I've been cleaning mine with hot PBW soaks overnight without any issues. It is certainly possible though, but with how cheap they are relative to glass it's not a big deal to replace them every other year. NorthernBrewer has been having BOGO sales for Better Bottles every six months or so.
I wonder if some of these problems, if really related to cleaners, is due to the often reported over concentrated solutions. I have read posts where Oxyclean users complain of residue then state that they use one cup or more in five gallons. I use about 1/3 scoop and it works fine. Maybe 1/4 cup.

I got my second and third 6 gallon BB's using the BOGO.
When I need to replace or add more I hope they continue this practice.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 596 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I wonder if some of these problems, if really related to cleaners, is due to the often reported over concentrated solutions. I have read posts where Oxyclean users complain of residue then state that they use one cup or more in five gallons. I use about 1/3 scoop and it works fine. Maybe 1/4 cup.

I got my second and third 6 gallon BB's using the BOGO.
When I need to replace or add more I hope they continue this practice.
I suspect that you're right, and that over-concentration is more of a problem than the cleaning solution itself.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
MrJames

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Hopefully if you break one and buy another there is not a trip to the emergency room in between.

For me #1 = way to dangerous and close behind at #2 = way too heavy.

I have been using my first Better Bottle for 2 years now and have gotten another 2. about 36 batches in them so the first one probably has done at least a dozen brews. I expect these three will last many more years. Maybe even outlast me.
Emergency room? Wow, that's stretching it a bit. Sorry, not giving up the glass carboys for the off chance it breaks and I am right there. Point noted. Heavy, perhaps. I have Brew Haulers for all of my carboys and use em even when empty.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post

Emergency room? Wow, that's stretching it a bit.
Not really, search the forum a bit. You'll find multiple reports of ER visits due to glass carboys.

Quick Reply