Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > carboy as primary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #1
moodusbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default carboy as primary fermenter

hello,
As an anxious green brewer I have a compulsion to check out my fermenter often. Currently using bucket for primary/carboy as secondary. Any reason not to use a carboy for both to better view the brew form the getgo? All basic reading says bucket first then carboy.

thanks,
moodusbeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to use buckets for my primary, and changed to a 6.5 glass carboy and love it. Im a fermenter watcher, air lock sniffer, blow off container sniffer etc... and I like to see and smell how a batch is going. There is nothing wrong with using a carboy whatsoever. You can protect it from light by either picking up a carboy cover, or toss a t-shirt over it. They are easier to open to take a sample or gravity reading, but of course are heavier and can break, making a huge mess.

Bucket or carboy, either one is good, and its just personal preference. My 2 cents anyway.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you want the conveinance of a carboy without the risk of breakage opt for the better bottle. These things are light, and easy to clean.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a carboy/better bottle as a primary. Another good trick to keep the light out is to cover it with a cardboard box.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
moodusbeer
Recipes 

Default thanks

thanks for the quick responses,
I will move in that direction. I really would like to see that initial fermentation process. Thanks again,
john

Old 02-11-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Brewpilot
Recipes 

It is wicked, many times downright violent, you will love it!!

Brewpilot

Quick Reply