Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > In carboy cooler.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
tahoetavern
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default In carboy cooler.

As anyone used one of the plug in fermenter coolers? If you haven't seen it, it is a cooling bar attached to a thermostat that fits in the neck of a carboy and cools the wort from the inside. looks like a great idea if you dont have space for a BEER frig for the garage...... Discuss

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

Do you have a link? I've never seen or heard of one. If it's Peltier based it's unlikely to have enough capacity to keep it cool.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
tahoetavern
Recipes 

It says it can cool down to 30F. www.Brewjacket.com

Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks cool. A bit spends compared to a fridge, but the simplicity and small footprint make this very appealing

Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

It doesn't look they have shipped any yet. They take pre-orders for September/October delivery.

Most likely Peltier based. Nifty innovation and small footprint. Anodized version will not hold up in wort/beer over time, regardless of any claims made. One microscopic scratch and it will start to corrode. So only the SS cladded rods have a promising future. Price is kinda steep if you ask me.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What you mean Peltier based? I was also reading that the anodized rods require iodine sanitizaton. This is a great idea even for ale temp regulation, but agree that $400 bucks is pretty steep.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
tahoetavern
Recipes 

Pricey... But I like the idea of compact space, and being able to hit a target temperature for each brew.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
marinosr
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm really surprised that a Peltier device can pull that off. Mind you, the max temp difference between ambient and a carboy is 20F, so your house would have to be quite cold to be able to lager in a carboy. I wonder why a bucket is so much more efficient (max 35F difference)... the mass and high specific heat of the glass?

I'm very suspicious of their energy use claims though. For instance, why do their calculations assume the same duty cycle for their device and a freezer? If you're trying to cool to the rated maximum with the Peltier device (which is the only reasonable assumption given that it can only drop the temp 35F max) I would expect the duty cycle to be much higher than 25% Also, they don't include the 10W idle draw in their calculations, which would add another 65.7 kwh per year to the energy bill. Seems to me they're massaging the numbers.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
What you mean Peltier based? I was also reading that the anodized rods require iodine sanitizaton. This is a great idea even for ale temp regulation, but agree that $400 bucks is pretty steep.
The formulas are a wee heavy, and not needed for a baseline understanding of thermo-electrics. But the overall descriptions and graphics are good.
Peltier effect, etc.

Right, Iodine is a non-acid sanitizer. But beer itself is acidic and one small scratch in the very thin anodized coating will expose the aluminum rod and develop into a deep pit or canyon over time.
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:

Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinosr View Post
I'm really surprised that a Peltier device can pull that off. Mind you, the max temp difference between ambient and a carboy is 20F, so your house would have to be quite cold to be able to lager in a carboy. I wonder why a bucket is so much more efficient (max 35F difference)... the mass and high specific heat of the glass?

I'm very suspicious of their energy use claims though. For instance, why do their calculations assume the same duty cycle for their device and a freezer? If you're trying to cool to the rated maximum with the Peltier device (which is the only reasonable assumption given that it can only drop the temp 35F max) I would expect the duty cycle to be much higher than 25% Also, they don't include the 10W idle draw in their calculations, which would add another 65.7 kwh per year to the energy bill. Seems to me they're massaging the numbers.
Good observations. The thermal difference is only part of the equation. The more important cooling capacity is not given, iow, how many BTUs can be drawn/transported per hour.

The buckets are cooled with 2 rods, the carboy only with one. Hence the reduced cooling capacity.

Also, I can stick 4 carboys or buckets in a freezer all being cooled at the same time for the same cost, alas all at the same temperature.

Although there are some questions, no real world tests yet, and the price is steep, their product does have a lot of merit, relying on the Peltier element's capacity, heavy insulation jackets, small footprint, customizability, and portability.
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:

Reason: rephrased

Quick Reply