Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Carbonator for Growler bottle/cap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
DickDastardly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonator for Growler bottle/cap?

I am trying to see if anyone makes a carbonator cap to help keep the beer from going flat once opened, that will fit a growler bottle?

If not, do you know of other simple options for keeping the brew fresh longer after opening a growler?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
mtnbikerbrewer
Recipes 

Keeping it cold is about the best way to keep a growler tasting better longer, otherwise growlers aren't not meant for long term serving once opened. Also, I usually don't recommend putting homebrew in growlers when bottle conditioning. I have had (and witnessed) several growlers explode. They will hold the pressure of a carbonated beer just fine (like off the tap), but when you put a beer in a growler then try to increase the pressure by carbonating, I have found a high failure rate. Potentially dangerous and messy in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could potentially make a DIY carbonator cap with those plastic growler caps. I made a few for plastic bottles with some replacement tire valves (screw type from advance autoparts) and an air chuck attached to my co2 utility line. Just drill a small hole in the cap, insert ans screw in the valve. The only difficulties I could see would be the inablitiy to purge the co2 before hitting it with the co2, and as mtnbiker said, the potential for growler explosion under the increased pressure

Quick Reply