Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > can't find CO2 leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
rhltechie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default can't find CO2 leak

hi all,

a few weeks ago i had to get a new tank of co2. so i got another, hooked it all up and turned on the gas. the next morning i get up and its completely empty.
sooo...i get another tank, i've hooked it up just to the regulator..no kegs yet. i have turned on the gas and sprayed it down with soapy water and i see no leaks anywhere. is there somewhere else i should check on the regulator? i have in the past had an issue with one of kegs leaking, but i have since checked it before often and didnt see any leakage with the soap test. where else should i look? if i wake up again tomorrow with an empty tank i may lose it! specially because the place i get my tanks is only open from 8-5 so i can only get over there once a week because of work. so i have to wait a week everytime i screw up! some advice?

TIA,

M

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make sure you are sealing the keg lid with 20-30 psi. Also make sure you use keg lube on any orings. You can test the grew disconnects by placin them in a glass of water and looking for bubbles . Check you keg release valve too with starsan or soap.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2815 Times on 2760 Posts
Likes Given: 124

What are you using as a basis that your keg is empty? Are you weighing it or looking at your pressure gauge? Is the tank inside or outside the kegerator.
If the tank is inside your kegerator and you are seeing it empty cause pressure gauge is at 0, it is NOT empty. You can't go by the p[pressure gauge. Weigh it on a scale.
If it weighs out empty, or you can open the valve on the tank with no reg or anything attached and nothing comes out, then get that starsan back out and spray spray spray. You will find it somewhere. Spray around the bottle's neck, all over the bottle's valve. Try leaving it with no reg connected to see if it still empties itself if it is. Leak could as easily be on the tank/valve, as anywhere else in the system.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
rhltechie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
Make sure you are sealing the keg lid with 20-30 psi. Also make sure you use keg lube on any orings. You can test the grew disconnects by placin them in a glass of water and looking for bubbles . Check you keg release valve too with starsan or soap.
thanks for your reply. when you say sealing the lid, do you just mean the pressure that i am keeping on when not in use? i assume you meant the brew disconnects. i'm not sure i follow the placing them in the water thing.

as for the tank, i do keep it inside the kegerator. i was certain it was empty. when opened with no reg nothing came out.i will continue to search!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhltechie View Post
thanks for your reply. when you say sealing the lid, do you just mean the pressure that i am keeping on when not in use? i assume you meant the brew disconnects. i'm not sure i follow the placing them in the water thing.

as for the tank, i do keep it inside the kegerator. i was certain it was empty. when opened with no reg nothing came out.i will continue to search!
After transferring beer to keg, and attaching the lid. You want to hit it with 20-30 psi , and then pull the pressure relief valve a few times to get rid of the left over o2 in there. THe high pressure also helps seal the lid and poppets. If you do have a leak on the keg, you'll notice it at this time.

The grey quick disconnect attaches to the keg post. If you have the reg set to something, just take the disconnect and stick it in a glas of water to see if it is leaking from the disconnect. Sometimes they need a little tightening.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts

Though not necessary, I always use Teflon tape on the threads.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Though not necessary, I always use Teflon tape on the threads.
Not necessary on flare fittings, but very necessary on NPT fittings.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2815 Times on 2760 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I've never put teflon my kegs. Don't want it in my beer. Keg lube is all that is needed.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Installing an NPT fitting without some kind of sealant is a bad idea, IMO. They make specific tape to use for gas lines, otherwise pipe dope is a good way to go. I'm not necessarily saying it's needed on the post, as I don't know what kind of seal we're talking about there, but there are usually NTP fittings in the gas line somewhere.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

"The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other, as opposed to parallel/straight thread fittings or compression fittings in which the threads merely hold the pieces together and do not provide the seal. However a clearance remains between the crests and roots of the threads, resulting in a leakage around this spiral. This means that NPT fittings must be made leak free with the aid of thread seal tape or a thread sealant compound. (The use of tape or sealant will also help to limit corrosion on the threads, which otherwise can make future disassembly nearly impossible.)"

Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're losing a full tank in a few hours the leak should be easy to find with a soap test. You just haven't checked the right place yet. Heck, you could probably hear a hissing with a leak that size.

Quick Reply