Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can You Get Rid of Vinyl Taste in Beer Lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can You Get Rid of Vinyl Taste in Beer Lines

I bought new beer lines yesterday they are Micromatic 3/16 id lines took everything apart taps, shanks, etc. and cleaned everything with brushes hot water and Oxyclean Free. My old lines had been in place a couple years and were neglected by me unfortunately to the point that when I ran the Oxyclean through them then beer line cleaner still some of the film on the insides just wouldn't come off so I thought I wold just go ahead and buy new lines. BTW the taps are Perlick Chrome. Ran some Starsan through my new lines (3 6' sections through keezer) and hooked everything back up and lo and behold my beer tasted like vinyl or some bad malt, or something else I just couldn't pinpoint and it wasn't there before. I only have tried taster glass sizes so far but the flavor was immediate - not after sitting in the line or anything.

I have a section of the new tubing/line I bought that I didn't use so I took a sniff through it and sucked through it and I am sure that what I inhaled and tasted from the brand new dry line is the exact same off flavor plus my good beer(s) flavors buried in the off flavors somewhere. It tastes and smells like vinyl. I am almost certain it is not an infection. It happened to all three kegs at once and the only change besides cleaning taps, shanks, etc. was the new beer tubing.

My question is what is the possibility of salvaging these Micromatic lines? I did a search and mostly found people recommending a different type of line. I'd like to avoid ordering new lines for now and see if there is something I can do. I mean can I boil them, soak them in baking soda, re-install my old lines (I have since cleaned the inside of them very well with a dip tube brush) and store my new lines and wait for them to off gas, soak them in vinegar, PBW, yogurt, gasoline, drano? Just kidding but get the point - what is the possibility of getting this off gassing out of the Micromatic lines. My old lines don't smell this way and I'll probably try putting them back on now that they are cleaned out. Maybe newly manufactured vinyl lines need to be "aged" or something before they are sold. If so I am willing to try it. Anyone ever successfully "conditioned" the smell out of their new beverage tubing? How? Can you let me know?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I've never been able to get rid of the taste. I'm starting to think a lot of it is in my head. I've bought so many different brands from expensive to cheap, and it's still there. I have resigned my self to wasting the first few ounces and living with it. That's what red solo cups are for around my house, plus they catch the drips from the faucets.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Get accuflex bevseal ultra. No plastic taste or smell, even with brand new line right out of the box, or for beer that's been sitting in the line for weeks. You can get it in 3/16" or 1/4".

Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hammy I don't think it's in your head and Outside thanks for the heads up on the accuseal tubing.

"Draft beer hose that meets the brewery’s criteria has passed through a series of quality tests, which include taste and odor evaluations."

This is what Micromatic says on their website regarding their vinyl beer line. Maybe their testers like beer with that new car smell.

I may start tomorrow by boiling my left over new line and/or soaking in baking soda and water. Maybe I'll put it in a pot of baking soda and water now. Anyone beat this new car smell out of their vinyl beer lines? What did you do?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

well one cup of baking soda dissolved in a half gallon of water soaked overnight didn't help. I still smell that vinyl tubing. 1. will let it keep soaking. 2. may try boiling it - maybe cut off a small piece and boil, will boiling damage the line? I remember reading that if you clean your beer lines with water that is too hot it will cause some sort of ripples inside the lines affecting flow maybe and/or ability to effectively clean later.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would just live with it while you save up for:
http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/accufl...free-shipping/

Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

More Beer - SuperFlex Beverage Tubing

Or just do a Google on SuperFlex Beverage Tubing <click it.

The search will give you sources and the reasons to use it. I think it's worth the search.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
More Beer - SuperFlex Beverage Tubing

Or just do a Google on SuperFlex Beverage Tubing <click it.

The search will give you sources and the reasons to use it. I think it's worth the search.
Superflex is a good product as far a PVC goes, but I recommend the bev-seal. The glass liner is much more impermeable and inert.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure I'll go with the bev seal. Still soaking the Micromatic in baking soda, you know - in the name of scientific research. The irony in this situation is that I wanted to get everything tightened up before entering some beers in the NHC as I bottle out of the keg.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Completely isn't in your head. The problem is that most people don't taste it because it dilutes out in 16 ounces of beer.

Anyone with a 15-30 foot line for soda water will tell you they all taste of plastic. Even barrier ones have been bad for me.

There isn't much in a 6 foot piece, but 30 foot gives you a solid ounce+ and its noticeable in a full glass of water.

Try your beer by dispensing a quarter ounce after it has sat even a few hours... you'll taste something. If you don't, might as well go back to BMC lol.

Quick Reply