Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can you "deactivate" Iodophor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
eviljafar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Can you "deactivate" Iodophor?

After cleaning my equipment on Saturday I wasn't too fussy about draining the aseptox solution from stuff before I sanitised with Iodophor. I noticed while sanitising my gear that the iodophor solution had lost its colour and its smell. I did an experiment tonight and I can make a glass of iodophor solution go clear/white with a tiny bit of Aseptox or Solide. Aseptox seems to kill the Iodine smell faster than Solide. This doesn't really surprise me given the way these cleaners can make brown sludge disappear, but does mixing iodophor with small amounts of aseptox or solide "deactivate" the iodophor, making in ineffective as a sanitiser? I recall people posting saying they used the colour of their iodophor solution as an indication of how effective it is.

Cheers, Jaf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Google search seems to show that Aseptox is an oxygen cleaner/sanitizer like one-step. It probably breaks down the iodine by oxidizing it. Not sure what the result on sanitizer strength is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply