Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can StarSan produce band-aid tastes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Default Can StarSan produce band-aid tastes?

I'm a bit worried. My latest brew might taste like band-aids and I'm thinking that it might be either from residual PBW or the StarSan.

It might just be because it's still young, but is it possible to have those compounds cause phenolic tastes?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I don't think so. the band-aid taste can come thru if you used bleach, but Starsan doesn't have chlorine in it. One time, I did not dilute the Starsan enough (too much drinking while bottling) and it had a a distinct burning type of smell (kind of like a cross between ammonia and sulfur) Did you use any adjuncts in the brew? Some spices can cause a mediciney taste.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply