The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can a room become infected?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
BrewNinja1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sure a room can be "Infected." In Belgium, the "terroir" is very important for making sour beer. Now that being said, modern brewing techniques should easily account for that. Making sure everything is sanitized and using an airlock should take care of everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Usually when a room is infected it means there's a large source of something growing in that area. having said that I would agree that if proper sanitation is followed is should be a non-issue.

Having said that I worked for a biotech company that had a lab infected with mold. It wasn't "cleanroom sterile" but it was cleaned daily. Needless to say enough people were getting contamination to the point where they stripped everything out of the lab and treated every surface with a spore-killing cleaning agent (something like peroxide and acetic acid). After that there weren't any issues.

Unless you're fermenter is sitting open next to something growing I think you should be fine. I've been dealing with micro-organisms far longer than I've been brewing. While sanitation is definitely important, the few basic steps should be enough to keep everything clean.

Prepare for Ludicrous Speed! Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply